This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6497 / 51°38'58"N
Longitude: 0.1769 / 0°10'36"E
OS Eastings: 550703
OS Northings: 196785
OS Grid: TQ507967
Mapcode National: GBR SD.M9D
Mapcode Global: VHHMV.0SWQ
Plus Code: 9F32J5XG+VQ
Entry Name: Garden pavilion and wall approximately 50 metres west of Albyns Manor
Listing Date: 29 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118681
Location: Stapleford Abbotts, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4
Civil Parish: Stapleford Abbotts
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stapleford Abbotts
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/06/2020
TQ 59 NW
Garden pavilion and wall approximately 50 metres west of Albyns Manor
Garden pavilion, late C17, and wall, C17/18. Red brick, Flemish bond, limestone dressings, felted wooden roof.
Pavilion square in plan with open side to south, one window in north side, and wall extending to east north east approximately 36 metres, with bay to north approximately in the middle. Pavilion has C20 double glazed doors, on each side a dwarf wall with stone baluster above, architrave with triglyphs, cornice, ogival roof terminating in wrought iron weathervane, damaged. Traces of original lead roofing at top, the rest felted. Stone quoins alternating with brickwork. String course, architrave and cornice on all four sides. In north side one window of two lights, hollow-moulded mullion and surround, C20 leaded glass. Brick gate pier bonded on west side, with scrolled stone head. Wall of brickwork with stone coping, 1.5 to 2 metres high, the central bay forming a balustrade. Two gadrooned ball finials in situ. Terrace with swimming pool to south.
These garden features are all that survives of the former Albyns mansion, early C17, recorded by RCHM c.1920, demolished c.1955, apart from removed internal features.
Listing NGR: TQ5070396785
Other nearby listed buildings