History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables, Harness Room and Dairy to Highford Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartland, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9894 / 50°59'21"N

Longitude: -4.4277 / 4°25'39"W

OS Eastings: 229710

OS Northings: 123916

OS Grid: SS297239

Mapcode National: GBR K7.KVJK

Mapcode Global: FRA 16MH.DW5

Entry Name: Stables, Harness Room and Dairy to Highford Farm

Listing Date: 19 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91203

Location: Hartland, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Hartland

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Hartland St Nectan

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Clovelly

Listing Text

HARTLAND
SS 22 SE

4/136
Stables, Harness room and dairy to
Highford Farm

GV II

Former stables, harness room and dairy. 1889, built by James Berriman. Stone
rubble walls with yellow and red brick buttresses and dressings. Gable-ended slate
roof with decorative ridge tiles. Axial stack of contrasting red and yellow brick.
Plan: long rectangular building consisting of dairy to left then a passageway with
harness room and stables at right-hand end. Stables have accommodation for 6 horses
- 2 loose boxes and 4 stalls.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 10-bay front divided by brick buttresses each surmounted by a
terracotta eagle, and at intervals along the front 3 buttresses have plaques giving
the date, initials J.B. and the function of that particular part of the building.
Inbetween the buttresses are windows with round arched heads and small-paned
casements. 2 have been replaced towards the left-hand end on the lst floor with
sashes. Round-arched doorway to passage left of centre. To the right of centre is
1st floor loading hatch above stables.
Interior: original fittings to stables have iron pillars dividing stalls and
partitions with railings above.
This building forms part of a planned farm of the 1880's - 90's which was an
ambitious scheme to upgrade buildings and land by the owner Mr. Berriman. The farm
is notable for its decorative designs as well as carefully planned layout.
Source: Strong's Industries of North Devon - David and Charles Reprints.


Listing NGR: SS2971023916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.