History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pitt House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hennock, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5905 / 50°35'25"N

Longitude: -3.6233 / 3°37'23"W

OS Eastings: 285187

OS Northings: 78014

OS Grid: SX851780

Mapcode National: GBR QP.WBR1

Mapcode Global: FRA 379H.VLD

Entry Name: Pitt House

Listing Date: 24 March 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165950

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84554

Location: Hennock, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Hennock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Chudleigh Knighton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Chudleigh

Listing Text

HENNOCK
SX 87 NE

6/107 Pitt House
-
24.3.83
GV II*

Large country house.1841. By Scott and Moffat. Squared and dressed grey limestone,
granite plinth and quoins, cream limestone dressings to windows, doors, strings,
gables; slated roof. Compact main block symmetrically composed to principal,
south-east front, another block containing billiard rooms and ballroom across
courtyard to north-west added c.1880, linked by single-storey wing, right; former
coach house, now dwelling at west corner of main blocks, same style and detailing as
house. South-east front E-plan, Jacobean style 3-gabled 2½ storey, two-storey
crenellated bows to each wing with 8-light transomed windows in plate glass, some
lights with thin horizontal bars; 3-light oriel in projecting central porch, on
moulded corbel, and with crenellated top. Wall plane between wings and porch, 3-
light ground floor, 2-light first floor windows with mullion and transom, and in
small decorative gables very small single light openings. In Dutch gables left and
right, 2-light mullion and transom windows. Ground floor windows and door contained
under continuous moulded drip, stepped up over openings, and upper level of bow
windows with string continued as coping to gables. Triple ashlar stacks with
moulded skirt and cappings at ridge either side of porch, and double stacks similar,
to end gables. 2-leaf part glazed main door set back in porch in Tudor arch. Rear
wing containing ballroom and billiard room has square turret with cross gabled roof,
then main run of wing, approached by flight of 10 granite steps externally to fine
pair of oak panelled doors in tudor arch with stopped drip and small plain shields;
roof with decorative open parapet, large multi-light mullioned and transomed window
at south-west end with small diamond panes in rectilinear margins. Coach house wing
with central gable, and small end cross-gabled turret all in detail as main block.
Interiors were being converted to flats at the time of re-survey. A few features
were apparently being kept, including the main open well stair with heavy square
moulded newels, square tapered balusters and moulded handrail.
This is a consistent carefully organised and rich design by G G Scott and W B
Moffat, still in largely unchanged external form at the time of the survey.


Listing NGR: SX8518778014

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.