This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6163 / 50°36'58"N
Longitude: -3.6549 / 3°39'17"W
OS Eastings: 283016
OS Northings: 80923
OS Grid: SX830809
Mapcode National: GBR QN.MGPV
Mapcode Global: FRA 377F.V7Z
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84572
Location: Hennock, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Hennock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hennock St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8380 HENNOCK CHURCH ROAD (west side), Hennock
10/125 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C15, restored 1875. Stone rubble with granite ashlar buttresses and
tower. Slated roof. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and south
porch 3-light Perpendicular windows, heavily restored, to aisles and chancel, the
north and south chancel windows differing in having 2 lights with a quatrefoil light
in the head; the south chancel window seems less renewed. Both aisles have
chamfered granite corbel tables. The aisles and chancel have buttresses flanking
their corners, and the north aisle.has in addition butresses between the windows.
South porch is similarly buttressed, and has a moulded cornice and battlemented
parapet. 2-centred arched doorways, inside and out, the outer doorway moulded, the
inner one chamfered. C20 ceiling to porch with centre boss of 1908, designed by R M
Fulford and executed by Harry Hems. Plain 2-stage tower, the upper stage slightly
narrower, being finished with an oversailing battlemented parapet pinnacle on each
corner of battlements. 2-centred arched doorway in west face, with 3-light restored
Perpendicular window above. Belfry has paired openings with pointed heads in each
face; the east face has a smaller pair of openings for the ringing chamber.
Interior: nave and chancel have 4 granite arches each side with wave-moulded piers
and 4-centred heads. Plain pointed tower arch on hollow-moulded impost blocks.
Doorways with pointed arches at top and bottom of tower stairs. In south wall of
south aisle top and bottom doorways to former rood stairs (blocked 1875, the turret
having been removed). Waggon roofs with elaborately ornamented 'glory' (ceilure)
over rood position; this was redecorated with new columns in 1980s.
Fittings: late Norman limestone font having square carved bowl on round pier with
detached shafts at corners and moulded base. Perpendicular rood screen across nave
and aisles, the loft missing; also simpler parclose screens. Much ancient colour
including dado figures, cleaned and retouched by Anna Hulbert in 1980s. Some
medieval stained glass survives in the head of the second window from the east in
the north aisle. Some good C17 ledger slabs.
Bells: 4 bells, treble and third being C15, tenor 1637 by Thomas Pennington of
Exeter, second 1904 by Mears and Stainbank of London. The frame, which is old,
stands on a floor of plain, thick beams, and has large, curved downward braces.
They may be medieval, but there are signs that the frame has been reconstructed.
Sources: Church guide by A G Lough, 1961; John Stabb, Some Old Devon Churches, 1911.
Listing NGR: SX8301880923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings