This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7497 / 51°44'59"N
Longitude: 0.6609 / 0°39'39"E
OS Eastings: 583773
OS Northings: 209020
OS Grid: TL837090
Mapcode National: GBR QLX.CWR
Mapcode Global: VHJK5.D9Q0
Plus Code: 9F32PMX6+V8
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 30 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119031
Location: Langford, Maldon, Essex, CM9
Civil Parish: Langford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Langford St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 80 NW LANGFORD HATFIELD ROAD
30.12.59 Church of St. Giles
Parish church. Cll/Cl2. Chancel and Nave originally with east and west apses.
C14/C15 east apse demolished and square extension added to Chancel. Circa 1880,
when extensive restorations were carried out by Edward Browning, including added
North Aisle, South Porch, North East Bell Tower. Plastered walls of flint
rubble and puddingstone limestone dressings. Dressed stone to Chancel, N aisle
and bell turret. Red plain tiled roofs with stone coping to gables. Shingles to
bell turret. Chancel east wall with moulded band above and below 3 graduated
lancet windows. Circular window to gable. Moulded plinth. Angle buttresses.
Rusticated quoins to bell tower. Square panel with sunk moulded quatrefoil to S,
E and N faces. Timber sounding louvres of moulded 2 lights to each face.
Weathervane finial. South wall. Stone faced Chancel with moulded plinth and
band. Buttress at Chancel division, plastered wall to Nave and apse carries
through to north wall of apse. One small lancet and one small square headed
window to Chancel. 2 C19 2 light windows with 2 centred heads and labels. C19
gabled open porch with stone plinth, timber supports fonning a 2 centred arch
entrance. Clock over and bargeboards to gable. Internal side seats. Circa
1100 N doorway with plain jambs, round arch and chamfered imposts. Vertically
boarded door with strap hinges. 3 c.1100 small round headed windows to W apse.
C19 N aisle dressed stone facing, moulded plinth. 4 buttresses. Small c.1100
reset round headed window to W wall. Three 2 light cinquefoiled windows with
square heads and moulded labels, one of which is C15 restored and reset. N
vertically boarded door, with segmental pointed arch under a square head and
moulded label. Interior. Chancel and Nave roofs boarded, ribbed and barrel
vaulted. Moulded and crenellated wall plates. No Chancel arch but corbels
support moulded wall posts, moulded rood beam with traceried spandrels. Side
tracery over. C13 double piscina in Chancel with shouldered head and round
drains. Stoup of uncertain date in Nave with 2 centred head and C19 cill.
Circa 1950 carved panelling to carved and painted C19 reredos. C19 stained
glass to E windows. C19 circular stone pulpit, moulded circular base and stem,
fleuron and ball flower moulding to cornice and soffit. C19 coloured tiling to
floors. N arcade of 2 segmental pointed arches, moulded capitals and bases to
sunk chamfered columns. C19 panelling to W wall of organ chamber. Sanctus
stained glass to N windows. C15 plain octagonal font with chamfered base and
rings to stem. Line of former eastern apse in the Chancel wall. Although
heavily restored C19 the Church is outstanding for the western apse believed to
be the only one surviving in Britain. Rcllbi 1.
Listing NGR: TL8377309020
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings