This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7984 / 51°47'54"N
Longitude: 1.0782 / 1°4'41"E
OS Eastings: 612343
OS Northings: 215569
OS Grid: TM123155
Mapcode National: GBR TQW.9D3
Mapcode Global: VHLD3.M2V4
Entry Name: Little Priory the Old House
Listing Date: 29 April 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120017
Location: St. Osyth, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: St. Osyth
Built-Up Area: St Osyth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: St Osyth Saints Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ST. OSYTH SPRING LANE
15/183 The Old House and Little
29.4.52 Priory (formerly listed as
Nol and 2 Priory Cottages)
House, now 2 dwellings. Circa 1300 and late C15 with later alterations and
additions. Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tiled roofs. 4 red brick
chimney stacks. Gabled jettied crosswings to right and left with right outshot.
Small first floor jettied gable with moulded soffit. 2 storeys and cellar.
First floor 1:1:1:1 various windows, ground floor 1:0:1:2:2 various windows. 4
panelled 2 light door to left (The Old House), 2 panelled 2 light door to right.
Interior. Late C15 left crosswing and central range of one build, heavy oak
double braced frame. Jowled storey posts at ground floor level, straight over.
Moulding to main tie beam now altered. Integral ceiling, joists have centre
tenons with soffit shoulders, these are moulded in the crosswing. Peg holes
indicate position of screen and wall bench. Circa 1530 brick remains of
inserted chimney in crosswing. First floor appears to have been an open hall
with central arched and braced tie beam, this now cut on east side. Crosswing
probably originally with crown post roof structure, later altered. Circa 1300
right(south) crosswing. Heavy oak frame with jowled storey posts. Ground
floor, contemporary doorway with carved double ogee head and contemporary oak
panelling of wide vertical boards straight rabit jointed. Fine octagonal crown
post roof with moulded base and capital. Down bracing to end gables. Simple
splayed scarfs with over squinted abutments and face pegs to collar purlin and
top plates. Cellar of great interest. The brick lining contemporary to timber
structure over, possibly the second earliest example of a brick structure known
in Essex, after Coggeshall Abbey. There is an arched niche in the brickwork,
possibly a bee bole. A small area of knapped flint repair, similar to the
Priory Gatehouse (Late C15) on north wall, apart from this the cellar is
Listing NGR: TM1234315569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings