This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1916 / 53°11'29"N
Longitude: 0.0046 / 0°0'16"E
OS Eastings: 534028
OS Northings: 367935
OS Grid: TF340679
Mapcode National: GBR JST.VC2
Mapcode Global: WHHKS.11HK
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Last Amended: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196145
Location: Lusby with Winceby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Lusby with Winceby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lusby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
LUSBY VILLAGE STREET
TF 36 NW
1/22 Church of St.Peter
(formerly listed under
Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C15, altered and reduced c.1893 by
Ewan Christian,early C20 narthex. Greenstone squared rubble,
ashlar dressings, slate roof and bellcote. Nave with western
bellcote, later narthex, chancel. The west end of the nave has
wide stepped and raking buttresses. An early C20 flat roofed
narthex covers the C19 western doorway with 4 centred arch and
hood. Above a 3 light C19 window and a narrow rectangular gable
light. The pyramidal bellcote has triple wooden openings to each
side and is slate hung. Ashlar octagonal chimney stack. The
north side of the nave has a tall Cll triple chamfered plinth.
C12 north doorway with chevron moulded hood and label having one
beast head stop. At the north east corner of the nave are
massive side alternate quoins. The plinth continues along the
chancel wall, but the east side has been rebuilt and patched with
brick. Cll keyhole window with ashlar head and reveals, around
the head a curled grooved motif with cross. The C19 east window
is of 3 lights, in Perpendicular style. On the south side a
further C19 2 light window with trefoil and trilobe, a C13
lancet, and a rectangular low side window. The south wall of the
nave has a 2 light Y traceried window, recut C19. Cll blocked
south doorway retains single monolithic long and short jamb,
reset ashlar head, above which is a stone bearing a raised
flaring arm cross. Interior. At the west end of the nave the
rear arches of the blocked side doors are visible, showing that
the nave has been shortened. Chancel arch, originally Cll, with
pairs of engaged half round shafts or pilaster strips with hacked
back capitals, now with plain reveals, chamfered imposts and
reset round head. In the southern window east reveal is a C14
recut king's head. In the chancel are single rectangular
aumbries to each side, and beyond on the south a tomb recess. In
the north reveal of the chancel arch a triangular headed recess.
Fittings: C15 3 light chancel screen, with cusped ogee arches
and Perpendicular tracery. C19 round tub font with crossed
quatrefoils. C19 roofs and pews. Source: H. M. & J. Taylor.
Anglo Saxon Architecture.
Listing NGR: TF3402367937
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings