History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanbridge Earls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Romsey Extra, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0072 / 51°0'25"N

Longitude: -1.52 / 1°31'11"W

OS Eastings: 433773

OS Northings: 123195

OS Grid: SU337231

Mapcode National: GBR 751.SMD

Mapcode Global: FRA 76PG.5NK

Plus Code: 9C3W2F4J+V2

Entry Name: Stanbridge Earls

Listing Date: 29 May 1957

Last Amended: 17 November 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166424

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141164

Location: Romsey Extra, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO51

County: Hampshire

Civil Parish: Romsey Extra

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Romsey St Mary and St Ethelflaeda

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in


SU 32 SW
2/16 Stanbridge Earls
29.5.57 (formerly listed as Stanbridge
School, Stanbridge Earls)


Medium-sized country house is used as a school. A site of Saxon occupation,
with continuous residence from the C13: by the mid C14 a substantial stone-
built hall, with an east tower and a south chapel existed (and virtually remains):
about 1840 additions were made and in 1895 a large series of additions in
conforming scale : in the C20 service wings of similar style were added, of a
lesser scale. The north front is ashlar of the medieval building, with later
west-side extension in roughcast, the stonework of the north east corner
(originally the tower) returns on the east and south (part) with a recessed
roughcast section separating it from a south side wing (1895) of brickwork, the
south range is brickwork of English bond, except for the middle section of ground-
floor walling (the south wall of the chapel) of stone and flint with stone
dressings; the latest work is rendered. Tile roof, with Tudor stacks of c1900.
The main (north) front is symmetrical in general form, of two storeys and attic,
1.5.1 windows, arranged irregularly in the recessed centre: and with 1.3.1
gables (four of the C17) which are rendered. The walling is ashlar (except the
west side), the fenestration is mid C17 with oak mullion and transom windows of
varied sizes, in the centre is a gabled porch of 1658. The east elevation shows
as two tall gabled blocks (with only one window), the north side being the
medieval tower and the south of similar form in brickwork of English bond,
separated by a recess above a half-glazed porch (1895). The south elevation has
gabled projections (1895) at each side of two storeys and attic one window, the
centre being of two storeys five above six windows: the
central part is c1840, although half the ground-floor is the medieval chapel,
with four coupled stone windows. To the west of the main block, the service
additions (c1900 and later) are of lower height but two-storeyed, in a vernacular
style; these irregular units surround a small courtyard, entered through an
archway. The interior has some C17 oak panelling and some rooms with pinewood
panelling (early C19), there is a stone Tudor fireplace (probably reset) and an
upper room has the arch-braced main truss of the (probable) medieval solar.

Listing NGR: SU3374723202

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.