This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0705 / 54°4'13"N
Longitude: -2.2773 / 2°16'38"W
OS Eastings: 381951
OS Northings: 463880
OS Grid: SD819638
Mapcode National: GBR DPJC.SL
Mapcode Global: WH95D.ZYRB
Entry Name: Church of Holy Ascension
Listing Date: 13 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324296
Location: Settle, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Settle
Built-Up Area: Settle
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Settle Holy Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SETTLE CHURCH STREET
10/7 Church of Holy Ascension
Parish church, 1836-38 by Thomas Rickman in Early English style. Ashlar, slate
roof. Aligned N-S. South tower and adjoining vestry, 5 bay nave, 2 bay chancel
with projecting rectangular apse and side chapel on east. East front entrance
porch at base of tower has 2-light arch supported by engaged columns with crocket
capitals. Double wooden doors. 3 stage tower has rectangular chamfered windows
above porch and louvred belfry opening with pointed arch and thin hoodmould.
Embattled parapet, above which continues a 4 stage semi-octagonal stair turret to
1 ft with 8 hexagonal pillars supporting a spirelet and ball finial. 5 lancet
windows to nave and 2 to side chapel, all with thin hoodmoulds and trefoil stops.
Lights are separated by a stepped buttress with angle buttresses at junction with
east wall. Corbel table. North end: gabled with gabled apse having 4 lancet
windows as on east front and an octofoil rose window above. West wall 2 lancet
windows to chancel, 5 to nave and 1 to vestry with buttresses as on east front. To
left are steps down to machine pit for organ which was formerly powered by a stream
running under the chancel. Chimney stack for vestry on right. South end gabled
with 4 ground floor lancet windows and tall lancet in gable with cross at apex.
Round window to left tower and stair turret to right. Late single storey lean-to
for boiler. Interior: marble wall tablet in porch in memory of employees of
Midland Railway killed during the construction the Settle to Dent Head line
1869-76. Queen post roof with braces and trefoil decoration in spandrels, with
tie beams supported on moulded stone corbels. Marble inlay to apse, wrought iron
chancel screen, 1860s. Marble pulpit with surround on trefoil headed arches and
marble font raised on 4 pillars with crocket capitals, both 1867: South gallery
with date 1838 and painted panel with Royal arms of Victoria. In west nave wall is
stained glass window in the style of Burne-Jones. Source: W A Shuffrey.
The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven (1914), pp.205-214.
Listing NGR: SD8195163880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings