This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4686 / 52°28'6"N
Longitude: -0.0947 / 0°5'40"W
OS Eastings: 529526
OS Northings: 287334
OS Grid: TL295873
Mapcode National: GBR K2L.6WJ
Mapcode Global: VHGLC.96TX
Entry Name: Bodsey House
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54475
Location: Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE26
Civil Parish: Ramsey
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ramsey St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 28 NE RAMSEY TOLL ROAD
5/2 (east side)
1.5.51 Bodsey House
C13 hermitage of Ramsey Abbey. Originally single-storeyed, partly demolished to south
for C14 Chapel of 4 bays lying east to west. East bay of Chapel demolished in C16
when converted to a dwelling. Two-storeyed, timber-framed wing added to west facade
in C17. Later C18 and C19 additions and alterations.
Stone rubble with Barnack stone quoins, buttresses, and window and door jambs to
original buildings. Early brick and later apinted and rendered brick; plain tile
gable roofs with barge boards.
West Facade 2 storeys high has 2 projecting wings with 19 flat roofed linking
vestibule. Crushed pebble rendering to all walls with flush plastered quoins and
brick foundations. brick and limestone side stack with 3 diagonal shafts to north of
south wing. Splayed bay window with hung sashes and glazing bars to small north C18
wing, and hung sash window with glazing bars in boxed wooden frame above. Two
horizontal sliding sash windows with glazing bars in main range to north.
South, Chapel Facade with Barnack stone foundations, south-west quoin, and angle
buttresses of 2 stages. Two original round-headed arches of chapel with moulded
lables now sealed with modern window insertions. One first floor hung sash window
with glazing bars and one casement window in 2 centred arch. Plain tiled gabled
dormer has horizontal sliding sashes with glazing bars. Rebuilt east gable wall has
an end stack of brick with moulded string and 3 diagonal shafts.
Two C13 flat arched, single light windows with chamfered reveals in east facade. Four
first floor windows of various sizes; band between floors. Large side stack, C16, of
reused Barnack stone and early brick, to north.
Interior: has details of C13 building including 2 original cross passage doors and
reused corbel in main range. C16 and C17 floor frames. Coved timber ceiling to C17
wing, also with fine 4-centred arched stone chimney piece. Large C16 cooking hearth
in kitchen of re-used Barnack stone. Recently inserted C19 staircase taken from
Priory Park, St Neots.
Source: 'Huntingdonshire Records'
1970 P G M Dickinson.
'Ramsey Abbey' 1881
J Wise, W M Noble reprinted 1981.
Pevsner p. 211
Listing NGR: TL2952687334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings