This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7024 / 51°42'8"N
Longitude: 0.2446 / 0°14'40"E
OS Eastings: 555204
OS Northings: 202787
OS Grid: TL552027
Mapcode National: GBR MGZ.8MX
Mapcode Global: VHHMP.6G5T
Entry Name: Livingstone Cottages
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Last Amended: 11 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168385
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117813
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 5502 ONGAR HIGH STREET (E side)
9/98 Nos 1 to 6 (consec)
27/8/52 Livingstone Cottages.
(formerly listed as Chapel
6 cottages in 2 blocks with a central passageway. Cl8 with C20 rear extensions.
Timber framed and rough rendered. Plain red tile roofs at two levels, with
4 hipped dormers to left and 4 gabled dormers to right, small paned casements
and sliding sashes respectively. Moulded eaves cornices. 2 storeys and attics.
8 window range of small paned vertical sliding sash windows to first floor.
Left block with 3 matching windows to ground floor and 3 four panelled doors
with pediments and brackets. Right block with 3, 4 panel doors, flat canopies
and brackets and moulded surrounds. 4 window range, two of which have 3 lights.
A central plaque to this block records that they "were vested in Trustees for
the benefit of the Congregational Church, pursuant to the wishes of the late
Josiah Gilbert 15 August 1892". A plaque over the central passageway records
that "in this room David Livingstone lived in 1838 just before proceeding to
his great work in Central Africa". The passageway lintel is supported by ornate
brackets and is boarded throughout.
Listing NGR: TL5520402787
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings