This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9305 / 50°55'49"N
Longitude: -3.4054 / 3°24'19"W
OS Eastings: 301329
OS Northings: 115504
OS Grid: ST013155
Mapcode National: GBR LM.PP2R
Mapcode Global: FRA 36RN.346
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96031
Location: Uplowman, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Uplowman
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Uplowman St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 01 NW
4/184 Church of St.Peter
Parish church. The tower may have C14 origins but the rest of the church is late
C15 - early C16. It was thoroughly renovated in 1864. The tower, nave and chancel
are of coursed blocks of red sandstone conglomerate, aisle and porch of grey-
coloured chert rubble; some evidence of original purple-coloured volcanic detail but
most detail replaced with Salcombe and Beerstone ashlar; red tile roof including
bands of scallop-shaped tiles.
Plan: nave with lower chancel, south aisle and south porch, west tower. C19 leanto
to vestry on north side of chancel and this includes a chimneystack.
Exterior: plain unbuttressed tower with embattled parapet and stair turret
projecting square from north-east corner. Belfry has twin trefoil-headed lancets.
On the west side a 2-centred arch Beerstone doorway with moulded surround and above
it a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. All the windows
around the church have Perpendicular tracery and most have plain hoodmoulds. The
gable ends of nave, chancel aisle and porch have shaped kneelers, coping and apex
crosses. The aisle has set back buttresses. The 4-bay south side is interrupted by
the gabled porch left of centre. It has a 2-centred outer arch with moulded
surround and hoodmould with label stops carved as human heads. It has a C19 roof.
The south door is a Beerstone Tudor arch with moulded surround. Above it is a
volcanic ashlar image bracket.
Interior: the nave, chancel and aisle have C19 open roofs of arch-braced trusses.
Plain tall round-headed tower arch. 4-bay Beerstone aracade. The piers are moulded
(Pevsner's type B) and the capitals are carved with foliage including several
heraldic devices. The eastern arch (overlapping the chancel) is thicker and the
pier is pierced by a trefoil-headed lancet. This pier also forms the respond of the
chancel arch which is contemporary and identical to the arcade arches. The arcade
eastern respond contains an image bracket. Large C19 Beerstone Tudor arch from
chancel to vestry. Flag floor to nave and aisle and C19 tile floor to chancel.
Furniture and fittings are mostly C19 including the altar table, oak communion rail
on wrougnt iron standards, Gothic style oak stalls and prayer desk, Beerstone drum
pulpit enriched with marble and including a blind arcade featuring painted
Evangelists, oak eagle lectern, cast iron rood beam, and pine box pews.
The Perpendicular style oak tower screen is dated 1911. C15 Beerstone font with
octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels containing fourleaf motifs and under the bowl
are carved flowers. The only memorial is that in memory of the Reverend Simon
Pidsley (d.1821) in the north aisle and a First World War memorial in the nave.
Some C19 stained glass.
The church forms part of a group with nearby Uplowman Court Farmhouse (q.v) and its
Listing NGR: ST0132915504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings