History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

25, Church Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8721 / 51°52'19"N

Longitude: 0.6875 / 0°41'15"E

OS Eastings: 585111

OS Northings: 222690

OS Grid: TL851226

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LMS

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V6TQ

Plus Code: 9F32VMCQ+R2

Entry Name: 25, Church Street

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168601

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116071

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


(north-west side)

9/40 No. 25 (formerly
2.5.53 listed as Shop
premises 60 yards
south west of London


House. Circa 1600, altered in C18 and C19. Timber framed, plastered and
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 3 bays facing SE, with
axial stack at right end, and stack to rear of left bay. Original or possibly
earlier short wing to rear of this stack, and longer rear wing to right of it,
C18, with C20 conservatory beyond. 2 storeys and attics. Ground floor, one
late C19 tripartite sash of 2-4-2 lights and C19 double shopfront with windows
of 2 and 3 lights, now in domestic use only. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of
16 lights with crown glass. 2 C19 casements in gabled dormers. One 4-panel
door with one stone step, and recessed double half-glazed doors to former shop.
Full-length jetty with simple moulded fascia, weatherboarded below, plastered
above in raised panels. Moulded eaves cornice. Chamfered transverse and axial
beams with lamb's tongue stops at both storeys; joists mainly plain, but with 3
re-used moulded joists in front part of left bay. Primary straight bracing and
studding exposed in cross walls. The left stack has a large wood-burning
hearth, altered, with chamfered mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops. On first
floor, blocked doorway with straight head in cross wall. Old hardwood
floorboards, probably original, on first floor and attic. Clasped purlin roof
with high arched collars. In left side of rear left wing, on first floor,
blocked unglazed window with mortices for 2 diamond mullions, and rebate for
sliding shutter. This may indicate an earlier date of construction than the
main range, or simply lower status. RCHM 17.

Listing NGR: TL8511022692

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.