This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1638 / 51°9'49"N
Longitude: -3.9403 / 3°56'25"W
OS Eastings: 264427
OS Northings: 142290
OS Grid: SS644422
Mapcode National: GBR KW.6ZKT
Mapcode Global: VH4MM.N08P
Plus Code: 9C3R5375+GV
Entry Name: Courtyard Range of Model Farm Buildings About 10 Metres South of and on Opposite Side of Road to Wistlandpound Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97065
Location: Kentisbury, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Kentisbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kentisbury St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW
5/89 Courtyard range of model farm
buildings about 10 metres south
of and on opposite side of road to
2.6.86 Wistlandpound Farmhouse.
Courtyard range of model farm-buildings consisting of bank-barn with attached mill-
house, granary, stables, cart-sheds, shippons, calves houses and stable-workers
accommodation situated on opposite side of road to Westlandpound Farmhouse (q.v.).
Mid C19. Unrendered stone rubble with ashlar and brick dressings.
Impressive planned model farmyard consisting of 4 integral ranges enclosing and
facing into a central courtyard with opposing front and rear entrances, the front
entrance surmounted by bell-turret with shippons to each side of the front range,
bank barn with attached mill-house to rear to left (east) side, stables and cart-
sheds to rear range, and stable-workers accommodation and associated buildings on
Principally single storey ranges on south and north sides, 2 storey bank barn with
first floor rear access on east side and lofted west range.
North range has 3 louvred windows to ashlar entrance gateway with cambered stone
arch flanked by twin engaged pilasters. Octagonal bell turret over with ogee lead
covered roof supported on channelled pilasters and surmounted by weathervane. Bell
in situ. Apart from double plank doors to rear of bank barn, all of the principal
openings face into the central courtyard. Bank barn has 4 window opening, the 2 to
right infilled above 2 plank doors flanking cart entrances to each side of stone
steps leading to windowing door. Lower ranges to each side, that to left door over
plank door, that to right has stone steps leading to granary door with window above
cart entrance to right. South range has 2 stable doors flanked by window openings to
left of wide opposing courtyard entrance with 5 cart entrances to right. West range
has for left, court entrance 3 doors with window above, cart entrance with 16 paned
windows above and to right, and doors with cart entrance to left, window to right
end loft door above north range has 2 doors flanking cart entrance to left of
courtyard entrance and 3 doors to right. The attached mill-house to the rear of the
barn retains its overshot mill wheel.
This is a very fine and remarkably intact model farmyard with no other comparable
examples in North Devon. It appears to have been built by the Fortescue family (of
Castle Hill, Filleigh) but from the 1850's was in the occupation of the manager of
the Knights of Exmoor estates.
Listing NGR: SS6442742290
Other nearby listed buildings