History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stapleford Tawney, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6739 / 51°40'26"N

Longitude: 0.1734 / 0°10'24"E

OS Eastings: 550380

OS Northings: 199472

OS Grid: TQ503994

Mapcode National: GBR SC.0DY

Mapcode Global: VHHMT.Y6J4

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117975

Location: Stapleford Tawney, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stapleford Tawney

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stapleford Tawney with Theydon Mount

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

7/283 The Old Rectory

A very fine house incorporating C13 core to left. Circa C1700. Red brick
facing and C18/19 extensions and renovations. Now half H plan. Left return
C18 beaded weatherboard clad. Hipped red tiled roof with two pedimented
dormers. 2 storeys, attics and large brick cellar. Parapet with band and
coping. 7 window range of circa 1700 small paned vertical sliding sashes with
moulded glazing bars and gauged brick arches. Central Doric Porch with flat
canopy and frieze with triglyphs and metopes. Door with small paned glazing
and frieze over. To the right is a good early conservatory with moulded timber
frame, cast iron internal brackets and original winding window opening
mechanism. Iron finials to ridge. Brick base. Central red brick attached
diagonal shaft chimney and red brick chimney to right. 5 circular iron tie
plates. Timber and leaded bell cote at rear. The right return has an early
C19 2 storey bay with contemporary small paned sliding sash windows and door
with glazed margins. Internally pilasters with moulded capitals and bases in
the panelled hall lead to c1820 dog leg staircase. Panelled gun cupboards
either side of door. Round head window to pilaster screen wall. Circa 1700
or earlier moulded stone firesurround. Detailing throughout relates to circa
1680-1700 or to the circa 1800-1820 renovations and include 3 Adam
firesurrounds, panelled walls, dado's, wainscots and ceiling coving. Panelled
shutters to all windows. Many C17 doors with hand wrought hinges and catches.
Many C18/19 panelled doors with brass handles and locks, one of which has a
drop bolt. In an attic is a C16 or earlier, nailed, 3 board door. There is
a working pump and a well in the large brick partitioned cellar. A section
of C13 scroll moulding dates the 2 bay fragment of former crosswing. (To the
left of the House). The original roof was replaced C17 with a good quality
framed side purlin construction, using some heavily sooted timbers from the
medieval hall. There are jowled storey posts. Lead from roof is inscribed
"Mark Webster 1861, 1872" with various other graffiti. The chimney stack is
of Mid-C16 with C17 concertina shaft added. The House is set in a very pleasant
moated garden with the following 4 listed buildings. C18/19 walled garden to
the rear has been restored. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TQ5038099472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.