This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9749 / 50°58'29"N
Longitude: -3.4237 / 3°25'25"W
OS Eastings: 300137
OS Northings: 120461
OS Grid: ST001204
Mapcode National: GBR LL.LY5R
Mapcode Global: FRA 36QJ.MZ4
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96732
Location: Huntsham, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Huntsham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Huntsham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 02 SW HUNTSHAM HUNTSHAM
- Church of All Saints
Parish church. Tower probably C14, upper stage rebuilt 1854-6, the rest of the
church completely rebuilt 1854-6 by Benjamin Ferrey for A.H.D. Troyte who designed
some of the details himself; north aisle added 1871 after Troyte's death but probably
also designed by Ferrey. Stone rubble with Ham Hill dressings, Sussex tiled roof
with crested ridge tiles.
Plan: of west tower, nave, chancel, north transept, l-bay south aisle east of the
porch- only, 2-bay north aisle, south porch, south east vestry. The design is
unusual, the short south aisle with a lean-to roof conceived as a children's aisle,
judging from interior fittings. Stylistically a mixture of Perpendicular and
Decorated with high quality details and rich in C19 fittings.
Exterior: Decorated windows to the chancel, the east window designed by Troyte, the
north window a re-used Decorated medieval window with volcanic tracery; good carved
label stops to the 1850s windows and a stone wall-plate carved with ballflowers.
Gabled north transept, north side windows square-headed Perpendicular style. South
aisle and vestry with lean-to roofs; 2-centred doorway into vestry; mixture of
square-headed and arched south side windows: all windows have C19 saddle bars and
trefoil-headed stanchions. Slim battlemented west tower without pinnacles, partly
medieval, partly rebuilt in the 1850s when it was "taken down to the upper string,
and a turret was raised at the north-east angle". It is not clear from this whether
the entire projecting rectangular turret is C19 or only the upper portions-. All the
openings appear to be C19, west doorway, Perpendicular west window; plate-traceried
belfry openings, bellringers' opening on south face. Coped gabled south porch with
C19 moulded outer and inner doorways and C19 arched brace roof.
Interior: Good C19 fittings and a series of C19 windows which add to the internal
coherence. Plastered walls; timber chancel arch; rounded tower arch springing from
plain imposts; 3-bay north arcade (1 bay to the transept) with double-chamfered
cranked arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and carved corbels to the
responds; similar arch into south aisle. Unceiled wagon roofs to nave and chancel,
the chancel roof boarded above the sanctuary and with carved timber corbels below the
wall-plate. Unceiled keeled wagon to north transept, boarded lean-to roof to south
aisle panelled with applied mouldings and stars; collar rafter roof to north aisle.
Good tiled floors throughout, more richly decorated in the sanctuary and chancel
which has an inlaid brass commemorating Dr Troyte, died 1852. C20 timber reredos,
the 1850s communion boards now sited below the tower. 1850s timber altar rail and
choir stalls with carved ends; low timber chancel screen incorporating fragments of
medieval tracery; eagle lectern fixed to screen. The nave has an 1850s timber pulpit
incorporating circa early C16 bench ends; octagonal stone font commemorating Fanny
Troyte, died 1856; set of C19 bench ends with foliage carving. C19 lamp-holders
survive intact ; fine brass and inlay nave corona. The east wall of the south aisle
is filled with a large painting on tin of St Agnes, commemorating Agnes Mills, died
1895. Carefully-designed C19 stained glass by Wailes: grisaille designs to the
chancel, quarries with texts to the nave and aisles, the texts in the south aisle
indicating its function as a children's aisle. West window of north aisle pictorial,
incorporating late C15 fragments. Various texts on tin survive from the 1850s
rebuilding. Commemorative brass to Troyte and his wife in north aisle erected by his
Troyte was High Church patron with an active involvement in the restoration of
Huntsham and other churches in the Diocese. A full account of his rebuilding of
Huntsham is given in the Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society
After Troyte's death Benjamin Ferrey rebuilt Huntsham Court (qv), adjacent to the
church, with which it forms an important C19 group.
Hughes, J.R."The Restoration of Huntsham Church", Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan
Architectural Society, VI, (1861), 220-230.
Listing NGR: ST0013720461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings