This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8778 / 50°52'40"N
Longitude: -3.3793 / 3°22'45"W
OS Eastings: 303053
OS Northings: 109607
OS Grid: ST030096
Mapcode National: GBR LN.T3NW
Mapcode Global: FRA 36TS.79B
Entry Name: Verbeer Manor House
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169274
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95457
Location: Willand, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Willand
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Willand St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 00 NW
5/271 Verbeer Manor House
Hotel, formerly a substantial house. Circa early C16 with late C16 alterations
(reset datestone, 1598), with additions of the 1790s. Stone and cob, plastered,
under hipped and gabled end slate roof. To a 16 3-room, though passage house has
been added a late C18 symmetrical single-depth 5-bay block. Access from one to the
other was by way of the front door of the former through-passage, but the interiors
of both have been much modified in the conversion to a large bar space. 2-storeys
(1) the late C18 house presents the main front (facing south-west). 2:1:2 bays, the
middle bay projecting slightly and with separate pediment; below this a first floor
Venetian window, with hornless sashes, 4:12:4 panes; porch, with pediment and
entabalature on 2 Tuscan columns, the sides glazed above, panelled below, panelled
reveals, the door glazed above, panelled below. The porch is approached by 3 steps.
Side bays with 12-pane hornless sash windows. Hipped roof, rear internal stacks.
(2) the late C16 house forms a parallel staggered rear range projecting to right.
Hall and parlour heated by external front lateral stacks, that to the hall partially
dismantled, that to the parlour with tall brick shafts, 2 pairs of set offs. Left-
hand end stack to service end. 2 and 3-light C19 casement windows to front, first
floor, above a large flat-roofed extension in the angle with C18 addition, with C20
sash windows with glazing bars, and French windows. Rear with some barred casement
windows, but with numerous extensions and alterations of the C20.
Interior: hall of late C16 house has intersecting chamfered ceiling beams; fireplace
with chamfered lintel; inner room (the beams are recent insertions) fireplace with
continuous ovolo-moulded stone jambs and lintel; higher end passage screen now
removed to end wall of inner room: stud and panel construction, but with 2 tiers of
panels, the studs fluted, with a cornice, with fluted panels, the uprights with
roundels and intertwined heart motifs. Lower end fireplace with chamfered lintel,
Roof: of 2 builds, the lower end the older and possibly lightly smoke-blackened
with 2 upper crucks, morticed and pegged, and cranked collars, trenched purlins; the
3 higher end trusses, halved and pegged at apex, upper collars with half dovetails;
trenched purlins, and (at the higher end bay) a pair of wind braces. The datestone
(1598), formerly external, has been reset internally.
Listing NGR: ST0305309607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings