This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5989 / 52°35'56"N
Longitude: 1.3631 / 1°21'47"E
OS Eastings: 627855
OS Northings: 305440
OS Grid: TG278054
Mapcode National: GBR WJ7.3FF
Mapcode Global: WHMTN.XX8Y
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227166
Location: Kirby Bedon, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Kirby Bedon
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Kirby Bedon and Whitlingham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 20 NE
2/28 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. C14 with C15 alterations. Original south porch 1479. Restored,
re-seated, re-roofed and parts of walls rebuilt in 1876. New tower and south
porch 1885 by R.M. Phipson. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage square unbuttressed tower with string
courses defining each stage. 2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Spherical
triangles light ringing chamber. 2-light quatrefoil vesica belfry windows
and a flushwork crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with 2-light side
windows under square heads protects C12 south doorway : one order colonnettes
terminating in a cushion capital to the west and a crocket capital to the
east; square imposts support round arch with a single bold roll moulding.
C13 plank doorway with iron strapwork and circular striking plate. Arched
and chamfered north doorway with simple plank door, also C13. Nave lit through
2 2-light square-headed C19 Perpendicular windows each side. Similar chancel
side windows, one of those to north removed to accommodate lean-to C20 vestry.
3-light intersecting chancel east window. Interior. C19 tower arch. Scissor
braced nave roof 1876 with ashlaring. Octagonal early C15 font with trefoiled
statuary niches to stem. 2 cusped arches to each bowl panel. Panelled
polygonal early C18 pulpit. Renewed chancel arch responds support a double
chamfered arch. Scissor braced chancel roof of 1876. C17 altar rails with
heavy turned balusters. Bench sedilia and plain piscina. Wall monument to
Robert Sheppard and wife, Anne. 1600. Painted plaster and stone.
Architectural frame with strapwork decoration contains square recessed niche
in which the two figures kneel to right and left of prayer desk. Figures in
Elizabethan costume. Above is a strapwork archievement. Predella contains
latin inscription. Below is a scrolled apron with coat of arms. Brass to
William Dussyng and wife in nave 1505 : figures portrayed naked under shrouds.
In chancel a brass with heart and inscribed ribbon scrolls, the inscription
now illegible. Various other inscriptions to now missing brasses in nave and
Listing NGR: TG2785505440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings