This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5845 / 52°35'4"N
Longitude: 1.4113 / 1°24'40"E
OS Eastings: 631193
OS Northings: 303983
OS Grid: TG311039
Mapcode National: GBR WJ9.X7G
Mapcode Global: WHMTW.N98J
Plus Code: 9F43HCM6+QG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227189
Location: Rockland St. Mary, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Rockland St. Mary
Built-Up Area: Rockland St Mary
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Rockland St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
ROCKLAND ST. MARY
TG 30 SW
6/51 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Mostly C14 but much restored 1892-93 when windows, roofs and
south porch replaced. Flint with ashlar dressings. Some brick to chancel.
Nave roof of plain tiles, remainder of slate. West tower, nave and chancel.
Square unbuttressed tower with string courses at each of the 3 stages. The
tower tapers towards the parapet. Western lancet is ogeed and has an ogee
hood. Brick rebated lancets to ringing chamber windows. Wide arched belfry
windows below crenellated parapet. Nave supported on diagonal western
buttresses and side buttresses to east. Gabled south porh with moulded
entrance arch. Inner doorway wave and multiply roll moulded. Hood mould on
head stops. Plank and muntin door with iron circular striking plate. 3 2-light
Perpendicular south nave windows and 2 to north. All have square heads and
hoods on labels. Between north windows is a flat-topped C20 outbuilding in
flint and brick. East end of chancel repaired in brick to the point of
amounting to a reconstruction. On the south side are 2 rounded lights under
a square hood, the spandrels glazed. The corresponding window to the north
is blocked. One C19 rounded light to the east of these to north and south.
Chancel east window is a lancet. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch
without responds. C19 scissor braced nave roof. Octagonal C15 font with
painted figures of Saints in niches to the stem. Bowl panels have shield
bearing angels. Quadrant moulded chancel arch on circular responds which have
tall polygonal bases and polygonal capitals. 3 large tie beams remain of
original chancel roof. Remainder comprises principals and one tier staggered
butt purlins, probably C18.
Listing NGR: TG3119303983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings