This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8316 / 52°49'53"N
Longitude: 1.5029 / 1°30'10"E
OS Eastings: 636058
OS Northings: 331754
OS Grid: TG360317
Mapcode National: GBR XGV.GSL
Mapcode Global: WHMSS.13Y2
Plus Code: 9F43RGJ3+J5
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224268
Location: Walcott, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: Walcott
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Walcot All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 33 SE
5/53 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C15 and C16 (bequests for construction recorded as follows:
1427 nave, 1453 and 1474 tower, 1467 porch, 1534 to "covering the church").
Restored 1854-77 by R.M. Phipson. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage tower supported by diagonal
buttresses. Tower plinth decorated with flushwork trefoiled arcade. Arched
west door with wave mouldings below square hood. Carved spandrels. 4-light
west window with Perpendicular tracery. String courses between storeys.
Square ringing chamber ventilation holes with openwork tracery wheels. 2-
light quatrefoiled belfry windows. Flushwork crenellated parapet with stepped
merlons. Tower stairs to south east. Buttresses emphasised by chequered
flushwork at junctions with tower. Angle buttresses to west end of nave,
stepped side buttresses to flanks. Gabled south porch with diagonal
buttresses emphasised by chequered flushwork as tower. Moulded arched doorway.
Wrought iron porch gates by Fitt and Parke of Stalham, mid C19, with arrowhead
finials to verticals. Inner doorway moulded with waves and hollows. Arched
side lights. Arched north door with double wave moulded jambs, as have the
3 3-light Perpendicular nave windows to each side. Stepped side buttresses
to chancel separate 2 2-light mouchette windows. Arched priests' door to
south. Window jambs moulded as nave. Diagonal east buttresses. 4-light
Flowing east window by Phipson. Interior. Double wave and hollow moulded
tower arch with semi-circular responds on polygonal bases and capitals.
Similar chancel arch responds carrying hollow and keeled roll moulded arch.
C15 screen of 3 bays right and left of ogeed central opening. Lights to bays
ogeed and cusped below rising tracery mullions. C13 Purbeck marble octagonal
font with 2 arches to each facet of bowl. Bowl supported on central shaft
and 8 columns (one missing) of later date. C19 nave roof of principals on
arched braces and 2 tiers staggered taper-tenoned butt purlins. Chancel roof
similar but with one tier purlins. Sedilia and piscina in chancel of cusped
and sub-cusped arches under square hood.
Listing NGR: TG3605831754
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings