This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9148 / 50°54'53"N
Longitude: -3.5838 / 3°35'1"W
OS Eastings: 288760
OS Northings: 114011
OS Grid: SS887140
Mapcode National: GBR LC.QRY1
Mapcode Global: FRA 36CP.KLN
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96840
Location: Templeton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Templeton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Templeton St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 81 SE TEMPLETON TEMPLETON
12/192 Church of St Margaret
Parish church. Thoroughly rebuilt in 1877 with the exception of the probably late
C15 tower, which was restored: architect unknown to date. Stone rubble: asbestos
slate roof; freestone and volcanic stone dressings.
Plan: Small church of west tower, nave and chancel (no external division), south
porch, north-east vestry. Perpendicular style window details.
Exterior: Chancel with 3-light Perpendicular C19 east window, date plaque of October
11th 1877 on north wall. The south side of the church has three 2-light cusped
windows with square heads, the window to the right of the porch probably medieval.
The north side has 1 similar 3-light window and one 2-light window; north east vestry
with similar 2-light east window and dismantled stack. 2-stage battlemented west
tower with internal north-west stair turret; blocked west doorway; 2-light C19
Perpendicular west window, chamfered belfry openings to all 4 faces. The porch has a
C19 2-centred outer doorway, an arched brace roof and moulded inner doorway.
Interior: No chancel arch; plastered walls; tower arch filled in with late C20 glazed
screen. Good C19 4-bay moulded arched brace roof. Modest fittings of 1877: no
reredos, timber drum pulpit with trefoil-headed openings. 1877 altar rails, tiling,
benches to nave; 1877 choirstalls incorporating C17 carved panels. Octagonal granite
font, possibly C15, on a replaced shaft.
Memorials and Glass: Daniell Cudmore memorial, died 1679, on south wall of chancel,
inscription with cartouche, pilasters and broken pediment. Memorial plaque on north
wall to Zachary Cudmore, died 1628 with inscription describing charity. Glass
presented and made by Frederick Drake of Exeter including tracery lights in east
window and figure of St Margaret in north side.
Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SS8876014008
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings