History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade I Listed Building in Denbury, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.5076 / 50°30'27"N

Longitude: -3.6601 / 3°39'36"W

OS Eastings: 282376

OS Northings: 68853

OS Grid: SX823688

Mapcode National: GBR QN.VFC9

Mapcode Global: FRA 376Q.CW4

Plus Code: 9C2RG85Q+3X

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170197

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84313

Location: Denbury and Torbryan, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Denbury and Torbryan

Built-Up Area: Denbury

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Denbury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in


4/35 Church of St Mary the Virgin


Parish church. Early C14 (dedication by Bishop Stapeldon in 1318) with C19 vestry.
Repaired about 1845, chancel restored in 1866, whole church repaired under auspices
of S.P.A.B. in 1912, by William Weir. Stone roughcast rendered (except for south
porch of stone rubble). Slated roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts,
west tower, south porch, vestry at east side of north transept. Nave has two late
C19, medieval-style windows each side. At west end of north face a chamfered
doorway with two-centred arch and hood-mould. South transept has late C19
Perpendicular windows of three lights in east and south walls, and has (probably
C19) buttresses at south end of east and west walls. North transept has similar
north window, but a medieval window with 2-centred head in east wall (blocked, no
tracery visible). Chancel has C14 window on each of north and south sides, having
2-centred heads and 2 lights with pointed arches. South side has a similar window
to left, at a lower level, heavily restored externally. Priest's door with moulded
surround and two-centred arch. East window has 2-centred arch and 3 lights with
intersecting tracery. Tapering 2-stage tower with projecting stone plinth, string
course above each stage and battlements at the top. West face has moulded doorway
with rounded head. Above it a 3-light window with 2-centred arch and intersecting
tracery. Belfry openings of 2 lights, 2 centred arches, each side; lights with 2-
centred arches, except for those in east face which match the north and south
chancel windows. Weatherings of older, much steeper nave roof. In north case a
diamond-shaped clockface with gilt lettering and a single hand; information sheet
in church says clock dial 1730, restored 1968. Weather vane above tower on curved
iron supports. South porch gabled, with C19 coping and cross. Inner doorway
moulded with 2-centred arch. Contains good pair of C19 wood gates imitating C14
tracery; wooden grilles instead of panels. Interior: both transepts and tower
have double-chamfered imposts. Chancel has piscina with trefoiled head in south
wall. In north wall, cut into by C19 vestry doorway, a large, crude, quatrefoil-
shaped window. To left of it the upper doorway of the former stair to roof screen;
chamfered, with 2-centred arch. Nave, chancel and transepts have old wagon-roofs
with moulded ribs. Fittings: Norman font of pink sandstone with palmette
decoration. Wooden screen across opening to north transept (previously across
south transept and thought to have been brought from Dartington old church); has
five openings with 2-centred heads having quatrefoils and darts in the spandrels,
each opening (except the centre doorway which has only the head-tracery) of three
ogee-headed lights with plain penels below. Monument: in west wall of south
transept, grey and white marble monument to Jospeh Taylor, esquire (d.1732), signed
John Weston, consists of an obelisk with man's head in profile surrounded by canon,
an anchor and other naval equipment. Low-relief panel below of a three-masted ship
engaging four-oared galleys. Belfry not inspected but reported to contain a bell
of 1631 and a bell of 1633. Sources: W G Hoskins, Devon, 1954, p.500. N Pevsner,
South Devon, 1952, pp. 118-9. Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1914, p.199.
Council for the Care of Churches, Schedule of Bells for Preservation 1984.

Listing NGR: SX8237668852

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.