This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9294 / 51°55'45"N
Longitude: -1.7208 / 1°43'14"W
OS Eastings: 419292
OS Northings: 225692
OS Grid: SP192256
Mapcode National: GBR 4PW.XDV
Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.4R3S
Entry Name: The Royalist Hotel
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 29 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126330
Location: Stow-on-the-Wold, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stow-on-the-Wold
Built-Up Area: Stow-on-the-Wold
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stow-on-the Wold St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
5224 DIGBETH STREET
(north east side)
The Royalist Hotel (formerly
listed as Porch House)
SP 1925 NW 2/41 25.8.60
Possibly C16, but remodelling in early C17 (see date stone) and more recently. A
good Jacobean town house. Two storeys and attics, rubble with flush quoins. Four bays,
with flat eaves to red tile roof. Two and a half storey porch wing projects to right
of centre. Three chimneys on ridge the left hand one in ashlar. Raised verges and
carved kneelers. Two modern gabled dormers to left. Modern 4-light casements, except
to porch wing, on first floor. On ground floor, 2 large possibly C16 windows to left
with stilted drips, the right hand one retaining ogee section king mullion, modern
casements to right hand bay. Two inserted (possibly C18) doorways with bracketed
elliptical hoods (left hand blocked, right hand with modern glazed door). Porch
may have been rebuilt in C19 and doorway has been rebuilt since 1950. This porch
is an addition and is built in coursed and dressed stone of ashlar quality. Small
blocked opening with plain cornice to attic. Four light ovolo mullion to first floor.
Modern glazed doors with cornice. Datestone over '1615 TS'. Side windows are
3-light mullion type on first floor and small lobby lights on ground floor.
Rear: 3 bay extension with modern exposed studs (timber-framed), lower one bay
extension to east of this has a 3 light ovolo mullion window with drip to first floor.
Interior: Tudor arch fireplace with cornice in ground floor east room (formerly
probably the parlour). Through passage has Tudor arch doorway to rear. A small
amount of plank and muntin panelling of heavy section survives.
Said to be on the site of a mediaeval Hospital (Hospice).
Listing NGR: SP1929225692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings