This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5912 / 52°35'28"N
Longitude: 0.4602 / 0°27'36"E
OS Eastings: 566746
OS Northings: 302104
OS Grid: TF667021
Mapcode National: GBR P72.H56
Mapcode Global: WHKR5.14DC
Plus Code: 9F42HFR6+F3
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221718
Location: West Dereham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: West Dereham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: West Dereham
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Tagged with: Church building
TF 60 SE WEST DEREHAM ST ANDREWS WALK
11/63 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Late C12 west tower, remainder early C15, restored 1895. Tower of
ferruginous conglomerate, remainder of carstone and flint with ashlar dressings.
Plain tiled roofs. Three stage round tower. Restored round arched west window.
Second stage of smaller circumference above set-off is pierced by one round-headed
lancet to west and further blocked lancet to north. C14 octagonal brick belfry
stage with one 2-light Y tracery window each facet set within recess defined at
top by frieze of 5 round arches. Alternate pairs of windows blocked. Plain parapet.
Late C17 south porch of rendered brick with shaped gable. Outer door jambs and
arch of re-used medieval material. Statutory niche with triangular hood on head
stops in gable. Two-light square-headed side windows. Interior of porch barrel
vaulter with transverse ribs. Early C13 inner south door: one order of shafts with
bell capitals support square imposts and deeply undercut moulded pointed arch.
Four flat buttresses with one set-off to nave north and south, the 2 eastern bays
with 3-light Perpendicular windows under depressed arches. Windows with stepped
transoms above ogee arches. Chancel with 2 3-light Perpendicular windows beneath
pointed arches on south side, one on north side. Stepped buttress and priests'
door to south. Diagonal east buttresses. Three-light Perpendicular panel tracery
east window with crenellated transom. Gabled C19 vestry to north. Blocked wave
moulded north nave door. Interior. Pointed tower arch. C14 octagonal front with
facets of bowl decorated with quatrefoils. C19 scissors braced nave roof with
crenellated tie beam. Rood stairs survive. Triple chamfered tower arch. C19 crown
post chancel roof on chamfered tie beam. Embattled C15 wall plate survives. C17
iron twist altar rails. Early C17 pulpit: punched arcading on fluted pilaster
strips above dado of rectangular panels with diamond fielding; scrolled consoles
support reading desk. Early C17 reading desk with similar decoration and details.
One south nave window retains C15 glass in head. Wall monument to Colonel Edmond
Soames (died 1706) against south chancel wall 1710, signed by Robert Singleton (of
Bury St Edmunds). White, pink and grey marble. Pedestal with inscription plaque.
Life size statue of Colonel Soames in military dress against round-headed grey
ground. Open pediment with central cartouche and swags supported on carved pilasters
right and left. Wall monument in north chancel wall to Thomas Dereham 1722: marble
with pilaster strapwork above inscription panel cartouche. Apron acting as pedestal
extends to ground. To left wall monument to Robert (died 1612) and Thomas Dereham
(died 1559); marble with black slate inscription tablet framed by pilasters support-
ing decorated architrave. Composition with crowning achievement and scrolled apron.
Listing NGR: TF6674602104
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings