This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9653 / 51°57'55"N
Longitude: 0.1394 / 0°8'21"E
OS Eastings: 547075
OS Northings: 231812
OS Grid: TL470318
Mapcode National: GBR LB7.L34
Mapcode Global: VHHL8.CVJR
Plus Code: 9F32X48Q+4Q
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Clement
Listing Date: 21 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 121605
Location: Clavering, Uttlesford, Essex, CB11
Civil Parish: Clavering
Built-Up Area: Clavering
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Clavering St Mary and St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
CLAVERING PELHAM ROAD
Church of St Mary
and St Clement
TL 4731 41/130 21.2.67
A flint rubble church of the late C14 and early C15. The nave, aisles, chancel
and south porch are battlemented and west tower has angle buttresses and a
battlemented parapet. The church was built on the site of an earlier church.
The chancel was built in the late C14 and the rest of the church was built
at the end of the C14 or the beginning of the C15. The nave has 5 bays with
a large clerestorey and original angel roof. The fittings include a C13 octagonal
font of Purbeck marble, a C17 carved pulpit on a C15 stem, some C17 monuments
and C16 and C17 brasses. There is also some C15 and C17 glass. The church
was moderately restored in the C19.
The church is sited close to the moated site of Clavering Castle, and the C13
Manor house ("The Bury"). Graded for its architectural, historical and topographical
value. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL4707531812
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings