History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monkleigh House, Staddon House and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Monkleigh, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9669 / 50°58'0"N

Longitude: -4.2024 / 4°12'8"W

OS Eastings: 245447

OS Northings: 120916

OS Grid: SS454209

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.MC7N

Mapcode Global: FRA 262K.BM8

Entry Name: Monkleigh House, Staddon House and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 15 April 1982

Last Amended: 19 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171271

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91464

Location: Monkleigh, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Monkleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Monkleigh St George

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Monkleigh

Listing Text

MONKLEIGH
SS4520
17/146 Monkleigh
15.4.82 House, Staddon House
and attached
outbuilding
(formerly listed as
Monkleigh
House/Staddon House)
II
Vicarage, now 2 houses. Staddon House, to left, is c. 1500 in
origin; it was remodelled and Monkleigh House (to right) built c.
1808. Colourwashed render over coursed slatestone rubble. Hipped
slate roof; rendered brick ridge stacks. L-plan with rear wing
and outbuilding to rear of Staddon House on left. 2 storeys;
4-window range. Monkleigh House, of symmetrical 3-window range,
has C20 porch with half-glazed inner door with glazing bars. Flat
rendered arches over 16-pane above 20-pane sashes with Gothick
glazing bars. Bay to left (the front of Staddon House) has two
similar asymmetrically-placed sashes. Three-bay right side wall
has symmetrical elevation with bowed central bay and similar
sashes. A mid C19 two-storey extension with horned Gothick
sashes and main door is placed to left of Staddon House. Interior
of Monkleigh House: noted as having panelled doors and shutters,
marble fireplaces, and fine dog-leg staircase with turned
balusters and fret-cut brackets. Interior of Staddon House:
ground floor has moulded beams of c. 1500; two beams in centre
have mortices for C16 plank and stud partition; one of these
partitions, adjoining the rear room, survives and has
Tudor-arched doorway with sunk spandrels which was blocked in
C17. On the first floor, the bases of 3 trusses with curved feet
are visible above the front room. Staddon House is probably the
chamber block and sole surviving remnant of the C16 parsonage
house. Subsidiary Features: to rear of Staddon House is a C17
outbuilding, altered in the mid C19; of rendered cob and stone
with hipped Welsh slate roof and stone ridge stack; C19 plank
door to bakehouse in front room, C19 double doors to coachouse,
C19 door to stable and double-entry to hay barn to rear.


Listing NGR: SS4544720916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.