This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6097 / 52°36'34"N
Longitude: 0.2341 / 0°14'2"E
OS Eastings: 551372
OS Northings: 303664
OS Grid: TF513036
Mapcode National: GBR M3Y.610
Mapcode Global: WHJPQ.KNPQ
Plus Code: 9F42J65M+VJ
Entry Name: Church of St Clement
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221821
Location: Outwell, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14
Civil Parish: Outwell
Built-Up Area: Upwell
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Outwell St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Ely
OUTWELL WISBECH ROAD
TF 50 SW
9/36 Church of St. Clement
Parish church. C13 west tower, C14 nave, nave and aisles remodelled C15,
chancel C15 but rebuilt 1863, north transept chapel 1527, church restored
1887. Barnack and ragstone with some brick repairs, brick north transept.
Plain tiled roofs. 3 stage tower supported by angle buttresses to first
stage. 4-centred west door below 4-light C15 window. Ringing chamber windows
C13, of 2 arched lights on a round shaft. In spandrel a pierced circle. C14
belfry windows of 2 cusped lights supporting a quatrefoil vesica. Plain
parapet with corner pinnacles. C18 pyramidal roof. Polygonal stair turret
at southeast rising to ringing chamber. Aisles and clerestory crenellated.
Angle buttresses to corners and stepped to flanks. South aisle west window
of 4 lights with Perpendicular subarcuated tracery. 3-light C14 flowing
tracery window to west of 2 storeyed south porch. Porch entered through
stilted arch and supported by stepped side buttresses. 2-light parvise window
in gable head and upper storey side windows to east and west. External
entrance to stairs on west side. Interior with 2 bay tierceron vault with
fleuron bosses, the cells with C19 brick infil. South aisle illuminated though
2 transomed segmental-headed C15 windows of 6 or 7 lights. Pinnacles on
parapet over buttresses. 5-light transomed east window to south aisle of
panel tracery type. Aisles embrace chancel. 5 3-light 4-centred clerestory
windows to north and south. 5-light east window of chancel and 3 light side
windows, all with transoms and panel tracery. 6-light north aisle east window
with transom, the transom above cusped lights. To right and left of tracery
head one statue in niche below cusped canopy. 4 3-light C15 north aisle
windows with segmental heads. Segmental arched north door in second bay.
Brick transeptal chapel of 1520's : diagonal buttresses, 4-light north window
under depressed arch and 3-light segmental-headed side windows. Straight
gable. No crenellations to north aisle parapet west of transept. Interior.
5 bay octagonal arcade of C14. Wave moulded south arches, chamfered north
arches on moulded capitals. Clerestory windows over apexes. C15 tower arch
with Perpendicular mouldings and angel capitals to responds. Double wave
moulded chancel arch with polygonal capitals. Nave roof of alternating hammer
beams and tie beams. The former in shape of carved angels bearing symbols
and scrolls. Tie beams drop on arched braces to wall posts supported on
corbels. Carved figures stand on corbels. 3 painted angels decorate each
tie beam and at intervals on wall plate. Queen posts and subsidiary struts
rise to moulded principals from ties. Arched braces rise from hammer beams.
One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Gabled south aisle with hammer
beam roof, the hammer beams in form of angels. Boarded ashlaring decorated
with painted angels. Moulded arched principals, one tier moulded butt purlins
and ridge piece. Polygonal staircase to upper storey of porch impinges on
south aisle. North aisle roof C19. Aisles separated from chancel chapels
by wave moulded arches. Chapels entered from chancel through depressed 4-
centred continuous Perpendicular arches. Roof of south chapel as south aisle.
Against south wall a C14 4-centred cusped and sub-cusped founders tomb recess
with fleurons and seaweed foliage. Also in south chapel the Beaupre monument.
Tomb chest and recess to Nicholas Beaupre 1511, the tomb chest of Purbeck
marble in alternating wide and narrow panels with floral decoration and
shields. The recess has spiral fluted colonnettes to right and left
supporting a frieze of quatrefoils in square panels below incised top cresting.
Above this is alabaster achievement commemorating death of Edmund Beaupre
1567. In recess an alabaster tablet is inserted, with strapwork and garlands
within egg and dart border. North chancel chapel with cinquefoil piscina
and roof of arched braces pierced in spandrels. Square flat decorated purlins
and principals. North transeptal chapel opens from east bay of aisle through
stilted wave moulded arch. Full hammer beam roof in 3 bays. Crenellated
and crested hammer posts stand on pierced arched braces which drop to carved
angel corbels. Carved angels also a hammer beams. Pierced arched braces
rise to collars, decorated with foliage trail. One tier moulded butt purlins
and ridge piece. Octagonal font in nave with cusped tracery. On north aisle
north wall a brass of 1511 to Richard Quadryng : a man in armour, praying.
Fragments of late C15 stained glass in south chancel and of 3 wise men in
north transeptal chapel.
Listing NGR: TF5137203664
Other nearby listed buildings