This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5382 / 52°32'17"N
Longitude: 1.6241 / 1°37'26"E
OS Eastings: 645860
OS Northings: 299544
OS Grid: TM458995
Mapcode National: GBR YRZ.WZ3
Mapcode Global: VHM66.3GFK
Plus Code: 9F43GJQF+7J
Entry Name: St. Olave's Priory
Listing Date: 27 November 1954
Last Amended: 15 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227764
Location: Fritton and St. Olaves, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
District: Great Yarmouth
Civil Parish: Fritton and St. Olaves
Built-Up Area: St Olaves
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Herringfleet St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 49 NE
FRITTON & ST. OLAVES
BECCLES ROAD (north side)
St. Olave's Priory
(Formerly listed in Herrinfleet CP)
Augustinian Priory, now ruinous. Founded c.1216 by Roger Fitz Osbert. Various building campaigns C13-C16. Dissolved 1534 and site purchased by Sir Henry Jerningham who constructed a three storey mansion north of cloisters incorporating monastic remains. This mansion demolished 1784. Further robbing of site 1823 to repair Herringfleet church. 1825-1902 refectory undercroft used as cottage. Partial excavation and restoration 1904. Restorations 1922-24 and 1984. Quaternary and Quarry flint, chert, brick and Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar. Part of the church, cloister and refectory survive. To north fragments of C16 Jerningham house can be deciphered.
Church. Located to south of cloister; five bays survive to east of west end, of early C13. Aisless, but a south aisle added 1300-1310. South wall of aisle now continuous with north range of garden wall of The Priory. Two C16 splayed slit lights. Two circular flint bases to aisle piers survive (piers were octagonal) and base of respond against west wall. Western doorways into nave and aisle blocked in C20. North wall of church is fragmentary.
Cloister. Square, early C13 with brick faced piers supporting roof of cloister walls: bases of three piers survive to north wall and four to south. West wall of cloister range survives pierced at north end by early C14 four-centred ashlar doorway. This would have led into Prior's lodging, guest rooms, parlour, kitchen and Cellerar's rooms. The north range 1300-1310 is part of refectory buildings.
Refectory. Undercroft survives but refectory on upper floor now demolished. Entered from cloister through an arched door. One arched window each side. West side pierced by C20 casement. North side had two doors, one now blocked, and three windows, two now blocked. All these openings with brick surrounds. East wall of brick, C20. Interior of six bays, the eastern bay now reduced. Two aisles with five central octagonal Purbeck marble piers with capitals and bases. Two eastern bays are separated by a C16 cross wall. Brick vault, quadripartite to each bay. Bays separated by transverse and longitudinal brick ribs. Wall springers rise from engaged brick shafts. Brickwork is plastered. Blocked doorway at north-west corner. of undercroft led into an external newel staircase to refectory above. Internal C16 staircase inserted in south side of western bay to serve Jerningham's house. Two further rooms abut refectory to north, constructed post 1537 as part of Jerningham's house. Flint and brick. Rooms open into each other through a re-used C14 four-centred brick doorway. C20 staircase in southern room rises to flat, felt-covered roof of undercroft. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County Number 398.
Listing NGR: TM4586099544
Other nearby listed buildings