This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7603 / 52°45'37"N
Longitude: 1.5384 / 1°32'18"E
OS Eastings: 638842
OS Northings: 323948
OS Grid: TG388239
Mapcode National: GBR XHN.ZQV
Mapcode Global: WHMSZ.LWT8
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172607
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223704
Location: Sutton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Sutton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sutton
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 32 SE SUTTON CHURCH ROAD
5/69 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Mainly early C14 with alterations and additions late C15.
Restored 1848. Re-roofed 1891 when windows restored, by H.J. Green, Diocesan
architect. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Lead roof to south
aisle. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage square unbuttressed tower with
ashlar quoins. 3-light C19 Perpendicular west window below trefoiled lancet
to ringing chamber. String course below belfry. 2-light cusped belfry
windows with quatrefoil vesicas. Crenellated parapet above string course.
2 storey C15 gabled south porch on brick and flint diagonal buttresses. Brick
4-centred entrance arch with double hollow chamfer mouldings and semi-circular
responds. Responds with capitals and bases. Brick side lancets and parvis
window. Double chamfered C14 inner doorway. 3-light cusped intersecting
aisle west window. 2 2-light Y tracery side windows to aisle and similar
east window. Diagonal east buttress. Brick priests' door to south chancel.
3-light Perpendicular east window by H.J. Green. Diagonal east buttresses.
One 2-light restored Perpendicular north chancel window under square head
and 2 similar windows to north nave. 4 north nave buttresses of various
dates. Blocked north door. Nave east gable tile hung. Interior. 4 bay
octagonal south arcade on moulded bases. Moulded polygonal capitals support
double chamfered arches. Wave moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds.
No chancel arch. Good late C14 octagonal font with annulated engaged columns
against stem. Moulded capitals and bases. Between columns cusped ogees.
Bowl panels have 2-light ogeed tracery. Holy water stoup to east of south
door. To west of door parvis stairs. Scissor braced nave roof of 1891 and
rafter and purlin aisle roof of same date. Chancel roof similar to that of
aisle. South aisle chapel identified by trefoiled aumbry and bench sedilia
below window. Rood stairs off chapel are blocked. Polygonal early C17 pulpit
with circular frieze carvings. Arcaded C17 reading desk with scrolled
brackets. C17 pierced backs to chancel stalls with poppyhead bench ends and
arm rests in form of carved heads. Porch parvis with 3 triangular-headed
niches to east wall and 2 to west wall.
Listing NGR: TG3884223948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings