This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6656 / 51°39'56"N
Longitude: -0.3365 / 0°20'11"W
OS Eastings: 515146
OS Northings: 197628
OS Grid: TQ151976
Mapcode National: GBR 5X.PTS
Mapcode Global: VHGQ3.3DZG
Entry Name: Bhaktivedanta Manor
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164076
Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25
Civil Parish: Aldenham
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Aldenham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NE ALDENHAM THE GREEN
7/29 Bhaktivedanta Manor
House. 1884 with mid C19 core and c.1900 extension. Probably by Hesketh
and Stokes for G.W.Williams. Brick, steel and concrete. Rendered with
sham timber framing some stone dressings. Machine tiled roofs. Domestic
Revival Style. Original villa extended to form a large L plan. 2 storeys
and attic. Front: originally 3 bays. Central entrance with bracketed
semi-circular hood. Flanking ground floor 5 light bow windows with
decorative leaded lozenges, stone sills, brick plinth. First floor:
central 2-light and flanking 4-light casements, ovolo moulded timber
mullions, leaded lights. Twin gables with 4-light windows, cambered and
brattished lintels, decorative timbers, bargeboards. Central 2 light
dormer with semi-circular head. Lower ridge to earliest part of house. 2
cross axial stacks with pilaster strips and corkscrew brickwork shafts.
To left a projecting gabled bay. Coving to jettied first floor. Full
height rectangular bay, larger on upper storeys. Similar casements,
decorative timbers below first floor window. Left return or garden
front: twin gables: 2 ground floor canted bays under one lean-to roof.
Stone sill to ground floor windows over brick plinth. First floor:
smaller canted bays. Jettied gables with decorative timber and 4 light
casements. Bargeboards. Central cross axial stack with 7 decorated
shafts. Entrance to left with side and top lights, decoratively glazed.
Further left and set back is a later addition with a smaller pair of
gables jettied over first floor bay windows. Ground floor conservatory
extends forward, canted to front. Entirely glazed in hexagonal,
rectangular and diamond patterned leaded panes in ovolo moulded timber
frame. To rear: 2-storey twin gables, double jetty with coving. Ground
floor: two 5-light ribbon windows with timber pilaster mullions.
Entrance to right with bracketed hood. First floor: decorative timber
below 4 cross windows with pilaster jambs. Cambered tie beams.
Bargeboards. To right: first floor timber balcony over a 4 light window.
Right return from front extends well back with similar detailing. Gable
to rear with jettied first floor and ogee braces. 1 and 2 storey wings.
More gables in inner angle of L. Interior: Neo-Jacobean chimneypiece,
plaster ceiling, panelling. Staircase with carved newels and pierced
balusters. Formerly known as Piggott's Manor. (RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TQ1514697628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings