This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6279 / 51°37'40"N
Longitude: -0.3925 / 0°23'32"W
OS Eastings: 511364
OS Northings: 193347
OS Grid: TQ113933
Mapcode National: GBR 4B.1QC
Mapcode Global: VHFST.4BVW
Plus Code: 9C3XJJH5+52
Entry Name: Oxhey Chapel
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158980
ID on this website: 101174300
Location: South Oxhey, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD19
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Watford Rural
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxhey All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 SW WATFORD RURAL GOSFORTH LANE
10/335 Oxhey Chapel
Proprietary chapel to Oxhey Place (not listed) now redundant. 1612 for
Sir J. Altham. Repaired 1852 for T. Estcourt. Restored and narthex added
1897 for T.F. Blackwell by J.E.K. Cutts. Altered and repaired 1963.
Knapped flint and 2 inch red brick chequer work. Stone dressings. Tiled
roof. 2 bay rectangular cell with narthex to west. Entrance to W in
projecting narthex with slightly further projecting entrance bay.
Original plank and muntin door with carved head. Moulded Tudor arched
surround with square hood mould and panels dated 1897 in spandrels. Stone
quoins return to flanking bays with 2 light windows, hollow moulded
surrounds and pointed heads to each light all under square hood moulds.
Stone quoins to returns. Moulded stone cap to continuous flint plinth.
Stone capping to narthex. C20 plaques in narthex front wall. In W end
above narthex a 4 light window with octagonal and hexagonal leaded panes,
hollow moulded inner surrounds, pointed heads to each light, chamfered
outer surround, square hood mould. Rendered course below moulded stone
cornice. Stone quoins. C19 brick parapet with C20 stone coped gable.
Behind gable a C20 octagonal timber belfry with an ogee headed cupola. N
and S sides have two 3 light windows as at W end, separated by a C19
brick buttress to N. E end: central blocked entrance with timber lintel.
C17 brick to sill level of 4 light window as at W end. Plaque with dates
1612 and 1963 in E gable. Interior: double rows of 1897 stalls following
C17 model arranged in collegiate fashion. Late C17 W doorcase with
richly carved Corinthian pilasters and entablature. At E end late C17
reredos, twisted Solomonic columns frame 2 panels with Ten Commandments,
outer panels with Lord's Prayer and Credo. Richly carved open pediment
to centre with cartouche and pendant drops, urn to gilded flame finial,
flanking pediments. Black and white marble paving in sanctuary. Shallow
pitched 5 bay roof retains moulded tie beams, purlins and ridge plate.
Arched braces with cusped traceried spandrels. C17 font at W end,
octagonal base and panelled shaft coved out to circular bowl and domical
cover, upper part with rich foliate carving, urn finial. 8 branch
candelabrum. C19 communion rails and lectern. Wall tomb to S to Sir
J. Altham, d.1616, and his last wife Helen, d.1638. 2 praying figures in
aedicular frame of alabaster and marble. 2 arches with carved soffits,
Corinthian columns, segmental open pediment surmounted by a shield of
arms in a scrolled cartouche, flanking obelisks. Inscribed panel below
base. At W end of S wall a brass plate recording building of chapel and
a marble tablet to J.A. Bucknall dated 1797 and signed by C. Regnant,
over tablet a female mourning figure with an urn in high relief.
(Kelly's Directory 1898: VCH 1908: RCHM 1910: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1136493347
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings