This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1232 / 51°7'23"N
Longitude: -3.2292 / 3°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 314073
OS Northings: 136710
OS Grid: ST140367
Mapcode National: GBR LV.9KQN
Mapcode Global: VH6H3.Z178
Plus Code: 9C3R4QFC+78
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Ghost
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265086
Location: Crowcombe, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA4
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Crowcombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST1436 CROWCOMBE CP
16/52 Church of the Holy Ghost
Incorrectly shown on OS aap as Holy Trinity Church. Parish Church. C14 tower, otherwise C15, North chapel added 1665,
church restored late 1720s and again 1869-70. Red sandstone squared and coursed, random rubble tower, C19 slate roofs,
decorative ridge tiles. 4 bay nave, chancel, 5 bay South aisle, South Porch, West tower, North aisle chapel with
anteroom. 3 stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, irregular shaped stair turret North East corner, 2-light bell
openings with transoms, 3-light West window with reticulated tracery. South aisle crenellated with solid quatrefoil
decoration in merlons, finials, gabled ends, set back buttresses, string course with gargoyles, all 3-light transomed
windows except 4-light East end, 4 centred arch door inserted end bay right on facade. 2 storey gabled porch between
first and second bays, crenellated returns, setback buttresses, finials, string course, 3-light window and crenellated
stair turret South West corner. Stone fan vaulting in porch. Chancel 4-light East window, 3-light lancets on returns.
North aisle chapel 3-light windows on East and North fronts under hood moulds, similar to private West entrance with
Carew coat of arms above. There are a number of tablets to servants of the Carew and Bernard families at Crowcombe
Court (qv). Interior: rendered. Tall standard Perpendicular arcade and piers with foliage band capitals. C19 open
wagon roofs, ceiled in chancel. One of the best collection of bench ends in the county, early C16. Very fine late
C14- early C15 octagonal font with sculptural panels. Screen and pulpit 1729 by Thomas Parker to replace those
destroyed by fire; rare example of early C18 screen. North chapel, still property of the Lord of the Manor, set over
family vault, C17 panelling, large colection of hatchments. "Sumptuous" South aisle (Pevsner) and excellent collection
of fittings. (?evsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH, Vol 5 forthcoming; SANHS proceedings,
p 61 1908 and p 84 1941 photographs in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST1407236712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings