This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1448 / 54°8'41"N
Longitude: -0.4556 / 0°27'19"W
OS Eastings: 500982
OS Northings: 473208
OS Grid: TA009732
Mapcode National: GBR TN8H.5Z
Mapcode Global: WHGCR.Z27V
Plus Code: 9C6X4GVV+WQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329342
Location: Foxholes, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO25
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Foxholes
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Foxholes St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 07 SW
11/3 Church of St Mary
Church. 1866 by G Fowler Jones. Dressed sandstone with limestone
dressings, on chamfered plinth; slate roof. Some columns of Mansfield
stone. South-west tower; 3-bay nave, north aisle and south porch; apsidal
4-stage tower with south and west lancets in nailhead openings in second
stage. East, west and south roundels in scalloped openings in third stage.
Belfry has angle shafts with scalloped capitals and four round-arched
openings, on Mansfield stone shafts with scalloped capitals, containing
scalloped pierced louvres, beneath continuous hoodmould. First and second
stage string courses, the second stage with chevron mouldings. Bracketed
string to belfry, and broad scalloped cornice beneath pyramidal spire with
cock vane. North buttress to west end, and west window of 2 round-arched
lights on shafts with scalloped capitals. Sill string with foliated head
stops; continuous hoodmould extends into tower second-stage string course.
Gabled south porch contains round arch with nailhead moulding, on Mansfield
stone shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Impost string and head-stopped
hoodmould. Diagonally-set square carved panels in gable. Round-headed
double doors, on elaborate wrought-iron hinges, in chamfered opening. Nave
and aisle windows round-arched, many with nailhead moulding, some with
hoodmoulds and sill strings.
3-bay buttressed apse has south window of 2 round-arched lights on scalloped
corbels and central shaft with water-leaf capital. Single round-headed
window further to east. Similar treatment to north wall and gabled vestry.
Gabled east end has angle shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Single round-
arched east window has Mansfield stone shafts, with stiff-leaf capitals, and
hoodmould. Scalloped roundel with monogram above. Coped gables. Gable
crosses at west end, nave and chancel east ends and porch.
Interior: arcade of double-chamfered round arches on cylindrical columns of
Mansfield stone, on high pedestals, with scrolled spurs to bases; elaborate
water-leaf capitals. Continuous hoodmould on mask and grotesque stops.
Chancel arch of 3 orders, the outer 2 with scalloped capitals, the inner
with scallops and volutes. Inner arch has billet mouldings, the outer a
painted text. Hoodmould with rosette and ivy leaf stops. Stepped, triple-
arched opening above. Apse dado of chevron-patterned polychrome Minton
tiles. Reredos of painted carved stone Altar on 4 marble colonnettes with
scrolly waterleaf capitals. Roof on corbelled curved principals. Heavily-
carved square font on pedestal and base, and weighted cover with floral
wrought ironwork. Carved pulpit on squat marble columns. Apse windows by
Capronnier of Brussels.
Listing NGR: TA0098273208