History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cutcombe, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1424 / 51°8'32"N

Longitude: -3.5295 / 3°31'46"W

OS Eastings: 293102

OS Northings: 139236

OS Grid: SS931392

Mapcode National: GBR LG.87PG

Mapcode Global: VH5K9.RKZ3

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1174575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265319

Location: Cutcombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Cutcombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Cutcombe

Listing Text

SS93NW CUTCOMBE CP
CUTCOMBE VILLAGE

10/37 Church of St John

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish church. C13 tower, C13-early C14 north aisle, 1713 east wall of north aisle rebuilt, 1862 extensively restored,
reseated, and south aisle, south chapel and south porch added, 1971 reroofed. Mid C19 work by C E Giles, builders
Pearse of Minehead and Hole of Dunster. Random rubble, upper stage of tower roughcast, slate roofs, coped verges,
truncated stack west gable end of south aisle. west tower, 4-bay nave, 3-bay north aisle, 2-bay organ chamber, chancel,
4-bay south aisle, 2-bay south chapel, south porch. Two-stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light window
west end of aisle, south front single storey gabled dporch, unbuttressed, with moulded pointed arch springing from
engaged columns, C19 inner door; three 2-light windows right, between buttresses with priest's door beyond, east end of
aisle lancet, 3-light east window to chancel, 2-light cinquefoil headed window to east end of buttressed north aisle, 3
similar windows on north front, 2-light trefoil headed window beyond, 3-light cinquefoil headed window at west end,
Interior: rendered, except for west end. C19 moulded arches to chapel and south Chapel with foliage capitals, unmoulded
tower arch. C19 roofs with some old bosses in nave, Five-bay north arcade of octagonal piers without capitals except
for eastern one, pointed arches; south arcade with vigorously carved foliage capitals. Base, stem and pillars of Norman
font with C19 Italian marble bowl. Mid C19 Beer stone pulpit, panels carved with scenes from the bible; mid C19 stone
reredos sculpted with da Vinci's Last Supper, reset in south chapel when the Arts and Crafts style ceramic, alabaster
and glass mosaic reredos, dado and also the east window, were given in memory of Philip Pleydell Bouverie and his wife,
died 1890 and 1892 respectively. The south aisle had been erected at their expense and contains glass by Clayton and
Bell. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Soaerset, 1958; Kelly's Directory, 1861 and
1906.


Listing NGR: SS9310239236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.