This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1425 / 51°8'32"N
Longitude: -3.0811 / 3°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 324467
OS Northings: 138687
OS Grid: ST244386
Mapcode National: GBR M2.8789
Mapcode Global: VH7DG.KK01
Entry Name: Blackmoor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268848
Location: Cannington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Cannington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST23NW CANNINGTON CP BLACKMOOR LANE (South side)
7/2 Blackmoor Farmhouse
(formerly listed under General)
Manor house and contiguous chapel wing, now farmhouse. Circa 1480 for Thomas Tremayll, further service wing to South
and a porch of Cl6, C19 internal alterations and sore fenestration to rear. Red sandstone rubble, large roughly dressed
quoins,slate roofs, coped verges, rubble stacks. Two storey hall house with a cross-entry, service wing, prominent
North chapel wing with Perpendicular features; 1:1:1:1.1:1 bays, the first and the sixth under front facing gables, 2
and 3-light moulded stone mullioned windows, most with an ogee head to each light; some with a trefoiled head; some
with transomes; all with iron saddle bars and stanchions supporting leaded lights. Two storey flat-roofed stair turret
with a buttress to fifth bay occupying the angle between the main East-West range and the chapel wing. The latter with
a large 3-light window with a 4-centred head, each light with a trefoil head, stopped label; small 2-light attic window
set over; the South return of this chapel wing with a tall lancet and an ogee-headed door opening in a moulded stone
surround, plank door; the North return with a similar lancet and two 2-stage rubble buttresses with weathered offsets,
further later sloping buttress. Principal door opening to house in the third bay, ribbed and studded door-in a moulded
ogee-headed stone surround; benched 2-storey gabled porch, first floor removed, moulded ogee-headed outer door opening.
Two storey garde-robe to South return, two storey stair turret to rear; this elevation with a further fine 3-light
stone mullioned and transomed window, now blocked; further C19 casements. Salient interior feature the roof of the
principal range made up of 7 arch-braced jointed crucks with windbracing, further jointed crucks to the South service
wing and the chapel wing. Ground floor hall with a moulded and framed ceiling and a large lateral fireplace with a
cambered stone lintol; in the North East corner a moulded ogee-headed archway gives onto the stair turret, early Cl9
staircase; 2 smaller similar archways give access to 2 rooms on the first floor; further C15 features. East window of
the chapel with elaborate flanking niches, adjacent a foiled piscina; framed ceiling overall with later internal
divisions and alterations. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 8 October 1973; VCR forthcoming).
Listing NGR: ST2446338692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings