This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0025 / 52°0'9"N
Longitude: -0.0198 / 0°1'11"W
OS Eastings: 536030
OS Northings: 235639
OS Grid: TL360356
Mapcode National: GBR K89.FTD
Mapcode Global: VHGNJ.LXXQ
Entry Name: Reed Hall
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162599
Location: Reed, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Reed
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Reed and Buckland
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
REED CHURCH LANE
TL 33 NE (East side)
3/142 Reed Hall
House. Origins are mid C15, probably built for John de Scales. Extended
by addition of cross wings c.1500 and c.1600. Hall range raised and
roofs hipped in late C17. Further altered and extended in C19 and C20.
Timber frame. Rendered with some brick facing. Clunch and brick stacks.
Machine tiled roof. An H on plan, originally an open hall with 2 bay 2
storey cross wings added, 2 bay hall raised to 2 storeys and attic.
c.1500 parlour cross wing to right is jettied to front and right return
with a curved bracket to dragon beam. Ground floor 6 light mullion and
transom casement in a flush moulded frame, on first floor a similar 4
light casement. Boxed eaves. Steeply pitched hipped roof. Right return
has an external stack of clunch rubble and ashlar with offsets, rebuilt
brick cap. Behind stack a glazed door and a 2 light leaded casement with
another curved bracket to jetty, first floor 2 light casement and a
flush frame glazing bar sash. A first floor 2 light casement on inner
return of early wing to hall range. Entrance to right, possibly in
original screens passage position, 3 panelled door, recessed with
architrave and fanlight, tiled pentice porch. 3 light small pane flush
frame casements. Some panelled comb pargetting on first floor. A 2 light
box dormer. Lower ridge than on parlour wing. To left is cross wing of
c.1600, originally jettied to front, underbuilt in late C17. 2 and 3 3
light flush frame casements. Hipped roof with a yet lower ridge. A cross
axial stack where this wing meets hall range and another stack to rear
slope of hall range, both rebuilt. Left end has 1 storey slate roofed
lean-to outshuts with C20 brick and tiled additions. To rear hall range
has an extruded stack, scattered casements, 2 hipped dormers and a C20
flat roofed addition. Cross wings have red brick facing to rear on
ground floor. Interior: stop chamfered bearers, jowled posts. Early
cross wing has moulded wall plates with ashlar pieces to crown post roof
with 2 way longitudinal curved braces, straight braces from collars to
rafters. Elsewhere clasped purlin roofs. Small open well staircase with
late C17 turned balusters, moulded handrails and newel posts with vase
finials. Part of a moat remains to S of this manor house. (East Herts
Archaeological Society Transactions, vol.2, pt.3, 1904, p.265: VCH 1914:
Listing NGR: TL3603035639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings