History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stogursey School and Attached Schoolmaster's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stogursey, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.18 / 51°10'48"N

Longitude: -3.1466 / 3°8'47"W

OS Eastings: 319953

OS Northings: 142936

OS Grid: ST199429

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.5W3G

Mapcode Global: VH6GS.DLXR

Plus Code: 9C3R5VJ3+29

Entry Name: Stogursey School and Attached Schoolmaster's House

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Last Amended: 16 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175713

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265237

Location: Stogursey, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Stogursey

Built-Up Area: Stogursey

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stogursey

Description

ST145E STOGURSEY CP TOWER HILL (South side)

6/138 Stogursey School and attached
schoolmaster's house
(previously listed as "School")

22.5.69

II

School, schoolmaster's house now dwelling. 1860, mid C20 additions. Architect John Norton for Sir Peregrine Acland.
Samford Brett red sandstone random rubble, Bath stone dressings, quoins, rusticated surrounds to openings, scalloped
tiles, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges, finials to gable ends and fleche. Plan: school room, central gabled
entrance porch, to rear attached tower and schoolmaster's house right, library left, modern additions behind. Gothic
style. Symmetrical facade, 2 storey gabled porch, central 2 light window flanked by tall gabled 3-light windows all
with leaded panes, tall stepped stacks with moulded caps in outer bays, coats of arms in square panels in chimney
breasts. 2 moulded pointed arch entrances, left blocked, right renewed oak door with leaded light. Sunk chamfered
panel above inscribed A Thanks offering by Sir P.P.F.P. Acland St. AD1860. Tall 2 stage pyramid lead roofed tower and
attached "L'-plan headmaster's house. 2 storeys, 1:1 bays, gabled 2-light hollow chamfered mullion casement left,
similar 2-light casement right gabled ground floor, 4-light canted bay, 2 bay pointed arch arcade left with single
light window and plank door. Given to the parish by Sir Peregrine Acland after the recovering of his only daughter
from tuberculosis.


Listing NGR: ST1995342936

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.