This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9322 / 51°55'55"N
Longitude: -0.2392 / 0°14'21"W
OS Eastings: 521155
OS Northings: 227424
OS Grid: TL211274
Mapcode National: GBR J7G.SF5
Mapcode Global: VHGNS.SPWP
Plus Code: 9C3XWQJ6+V8
Entry Name: Wymondley House
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162785
Location: Wymondley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
Civil Parish: Wymondley
Built-Up Area: Little Wymondley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Wymondley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
WYMONDLEY STEVENAGE ROAD
TL 2127 (South side)
11/173 Wymondley House
Country house, now business premises. 1724 for John Pym, a barrister.
1799-1832, the principal academy for training young men for the
Nonconformist (Presbyterian) Ministry (Kelly adds it was enlarged for 2
tutors and 24 students), boarding school for boys until c.1880, a
private house until c.1930 with ballroom and conservatory on W 1904,
then an approved school. Red brick, front stucco, and hipped slate roofs
with parapets. A tall 3-storeys and cellar L-shaped villa, front 5
windows wide, set in its own grounds, facing W. Irregular 2-storeys N
extension with polygonal ended conservatory projecting to W. Symmetrical
W front to main block, moulded cornice and coping, recessed sash windows
with square heads. 3/3 panes on 2nd floor, 6/6 on 1st floor and formerly
on ground floor now replaced by casements. Central Ionic porch, square,
raised one step, with full entablature, columns and pilasters, and
angular Ionic caps. N extension in 2 parts: (1). 2 storeys, stone
cornice, parapet, large conservatory with central clearstorey and cap
and half octagonal end, (2) one storey of red brick with upper floor all
stonework with mullioned and transom windows with curved ends and curved
glass. Rear wing continues plane of N end of house. Interior has
original staircase around a well, dados and cornices, 6-panel doors,
panelled shutters. Newer N wing has square ballroom or saloon with 3/4
panelling topped by a band of painted scenes signed A. H. Marsh 1905.
Coffered oak ceiling. Arts and Crafts decorative glazing, elaborate
fireplace. Linked by glazed double doors to conservatory with arched
colonnade of Doric columns of black granite on pedestals with canted end
and aisle carried round end. Marble floor. 3-centred moulded arch with
black marble balustrade to balcony over entrance from house. Segmental
carved pediment to double doors. 1st floor has red marble fireplace and
shallow plaster vault to ceiling. (VCH (1912)189: Kelly (1914)296:
Pevsner (1977)243: inf Mr. Farris).
Listing NGR: TL2115527424
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings