This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0819 / 51°4'54"N
Longitude: -3.2461 / 3°14'46"W
OS Eastings: 312809
OS Northings: 132132
OS Grid: ST128321
Mapcode National: GBR LV.D1FW
Mapcode Global: FRA 4628.C60
Plus Code: 9C3R3QJ3+PH
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270379
Location: Lydeard St. Lawrence, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA4
District: Somerset West and Taunton
Civil Parish: Lydeard St. Lawrence
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Lydeard St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST13SW LYDEARD ST LAWRENCE CP
2/168 Church of St Lawrence
Parish Church. Chancel and nave Circa 1350, rest C15, restored 1869 and late C20. Red sandstone random rubble with
quoins, nave and chancel, rest squared and coursed, limestone dressings and C19 Ham stone reveals, C19 slate roofs,
decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. 4-bay nave, chancel, 4-bay North aisle extended one bay East for chapel, North
and South porches, West tower. 3-stage crenellated tower with finials, diagonal buttresses, 3-light bell openings with
Somerset tracery, 2-light below and 3-light West window (no door), crenellated stair turret North-east corner. All
windows 3-light Perpendicular except chancel and one in nave. North aisle crenellated roof with quatrefoil pierced
merlons and finials, North porch set back stepped buttresses, crenellated returns but gable rebuilt without then when
roof restored, gargoyles left and right of porch rather weather worn. Rood loft stair turret projection. Chancel
windows 2-light on North wall, 3-light at East end, 3-light Tudor arched heads and 2-light on South wall flanking
priest's door. Nave, 4-light outer bay right with 3-light flanking South porch, diagonal buttresses, crenellated
returns of quatrefoil pierced decorated panels continued over the gable with inserted sundial dated 1653. Interior:
rendered, said to conceal many painted monuments, tower not rendered. 4-bay arcade, pillars decorated with carved
capitals, from West end fox and goose, angels, vine leaves and plaited decoration. Open wagon roof North aisle, boarded
in nave, (plaster removed 1896). C14 piscina and 3-bay sedillia, squint in chancel arch. Fragments of C15 glass in
chancel. Finest feature of the church is the early C16 screen, 2x5 bays, restored 1903, C16 painted decoration on rear
of aisle screen with inscription in frieze, later painted decoration with coats of arms on facade of nave screen. Early
C16 bench ends. 2-storey arcaded Jacobean pulpit, 7-sided, cut down, and standing on C19 stone plinth with flight of 5
steps. Circular font and octagonal base, inverted. Ham stone tablet to Doctor Godwin died 1628, scrolls, swan neck
pediment with skull and cross bones and decorated apron. Similar C20 version to another incumbent. (SANHS, Vol 44,
p56-58, 1898; photographs in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST1280532136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings