History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ivythorn Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Street, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1057 / 51°6'20"N

Longitude: -2.7432 / 2°44'35"W

OS Eastings: 348065

OS Northings: 134304

OS Grid: ST480343

Mapcode National: GBR MJ.BNTG

Mapcode Global: VH8B9.DGNR

Plus Code: 9C3V4744+7P

Entry Name: Ivythorn Manor

Listing Date: 8 November 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267794

Location: Street, Mendip, Somerset, BA16

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Street

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Compton

Description

STREET CP PAGES HILL (West side)
ST43SE

8/85 Ivythorn Manor

8.11.49

GV II*

Monastic dwelling, subsequently a country house. Of medieval origin, rebuilt 1488 for Abbot Selwood of Glastonbury
Abbey, subsequently passing to the families Marshall and Sydenham after the dissolution. Sir John Sydenham added a wing
1578 (though this was subsequently demolished). In 1834 the house was partly ruinous; restored c1904, later substantial
alterations and additions including West wing of 1938. Coursed and squared rubble, coped verges on kneelers with
finials, triple Roman tile roof, tall rubble stacks. Irregular L-plan; entrance frontage of 2 storeys, 1:1 bays under
front facing gables; that to left largest and projecting forward; a 6-light moulded stone-mullioned window to each
floor, iron stanchions and saddle bars, leaded lights, stopped labels, carved stone angels as stops, relieving arches;
narrow right bay set back being a 2-storeyed porch, 2-light stone-mullioned window to first floor, stopped label, iron
casement with leaded lights. Outer door opening to ground floor in a moulded stone surround, 4-centred arch head,
corbel carved as a head set above; benched interior on flag floor; inner door in a moulded surround with a 4-centred
arch head, ribbed and studded plank door with iron strap hinges; above a freestone tablet with the arms of Abbot
Selwood. Left and right returns in conforming style, many features restored. Single and 2-storeyed. West wing although
relatively modern and much altered included because it completes the ensemble. Interior with C15 moulded beams to one
room; original fireplace openings. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Buckler, Drawings,
SANHS).


Listing NGR: ST4806534304

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.