This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3796 / 52°22'46"N
Longitude: -3.1176 / 3°7'3"W
OS Eastings: 324023
OS Northings: 276312
OS Grid: SO240763
Mapcode National: GBR B1.R93B
Mapcode Global: VH68Z.XG75
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176366
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257312
Location: Llanfair Waterdine, Shropshire, LD7
Civil Parish: Llanfair Waterdine
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Llanfair Waterdine
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
LLANFAIR WATERDINE C.P.
SO 27 NW
Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1854 on earlier site, by T. Nicholson. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Four bay nave, three bay north aisle, integral north-west tower, south porch, two bay chancel, and north vestry; C14 Gothic style. Plinth; buttresses, diagonal at corners; verge parapets.
Tower: Two stages; string course to battlemented octagonal top stage with ogee-headed bell chamber openings.
Nave: windows with two trefoil-headed lights and returned hoodmoulds; moulded arched doorway in second bay from left with boarded door; gabled porch with chamfered arch, boarded doors, inscribed: "DOMINUS CUSTODET INTROITUM TUUM" above, and side benches within; west window with two trefoil-headed lights and Y-tracery.
North aisle: paired ogee-headed lights.
Chancel: ogee-headed lancets with returned hoodmoulds; east window with three trefoiled ogee-headed lights, trefoiled tracery, and returned hoodmould.
Interior: single framed roofs with braced collars and crested wall plates; four bay north aisle arcade with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, and double chamfered arches; double chamfered chancel arch, dying into responds; C19 octagonal stone font with wooden cover; communion rails made up from parts of late mediaeval screen carved with foliage including vines and grapes, figures, lions, dragons, and inscription; pews with the names of farms in the parish painted on; circa 1620 communion table.
The former spire was demolished in 1975.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 1 November 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings