This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6883 / 52°41'17"N
Longitude: -2.8747 / 2°52'28"W
OS Eastings: 340973
OS Northings: 310429
OS Grid: SJ409104
Mapcode National: GBR BC.3NY7
Mapcode Global: WH8BR.TP9F
Plus Code: 9C4VM4QG+84
Entry Name: The Lynches
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Last Amended: 18 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259016
Location: Westbury, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Westbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Yockleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 41 SW
(Formerly listed as Lynches)
Farmhouse. Probably mid C17, remodelled and probably extended c.1735, and partly rebuilt in the mid to late C19. Red brick with red sandstone ashlar and grey sandstone dressings (some since cement-rendered) incorporating a timber-framed core; hipped plain tile roof. L-plan with later additions to north. Basement, two storeys and attic.
Chamfered stone plinth to southern block, and ashlar pilaster strips at corners; external brick lateral stack to north east and brick stack just off-ridge to west; truncated probably C17 external lateral rubble stone stack to west.
South front: three bays; four-pane altered C18 sashes with exposed boxes, moulded grey sandstone cills and roughly gauged heads; central windows blocked and rendered, that on ground floor probably former doorway (see straight joints).
East front, left-hand part: blocked first floor window; two ground floor windows, right-hand has four-pane altered C18 sash with moulded exposed box and roughly gauged segmental head with projecting triple keystone, and left hand one blocked.
Right-hand wing: central first floor four-pane sash (altered C18 window); ground floor right-hand window with four-pane sash (altered C18 window), with segmental head and triple keystone; door to left with 6 flush panels and gabled timber porch with lattice-work sides. One bay left hand return front. Rear wing set back to right with two first floor two-light casements and ground-floor lean-to addition.
INTERIOR: ground floor room to south: ovolo-moulded cross-beamed ceiling; panelling; fireplace with early C19 surround consisting of segmental arch with glazed tiles in splays, reeded pilaster strips and frieze, and moulded cornice with probably C18 raised and fielded panelling above; elaborate C17 overmantel consisting of cable-fluted pilaster with carved lower parts and capitals with lion masks, guilloche-ornamented band, three blind round-arched panels with Ionic pilasters and carved figures between, vigorously carved frieze with lions and dragons,and carved cornice.
Ground floor room to east: re-ordered C17 panelling; C18 corner cupboard with raised and fielded panelling, shaped shelves, H-hinges; large fireplace; C17 three flight square-well staircase with landings, closed string, splat balusters, and chamfered newel post; late C17 or early C18 boarded and panelled doors throughout.
Formerly the Waring family home. The Lynches became the home of the Ashby family in the late C16, C17 and the early C18. Nothing earlier than the C17 survives. A circular dovecote formerly stood nearby.
Listing NGR: SJ4097310429
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings