This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6641 / 52°39'50"N
Longitude: -2.3029 / 2°18'10"W
OS Eastings: 379608
OS Northings: 307424
OS Grid: SJ796074
Mapcode National: GBR 06X.SPP
Mapcode Global: WH9DC.L9KF
Entry Name: Stable Wing Adjoining Church Farmhouse to West
Listing Date: 26 May 1955
Last Amended: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255319
Location: Tong, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Tong
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Tong St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD
6/21 Stable Wing adjoining Church
26/5/55 Farmhouse to West (formerly
listed as Church Farmhouse).
Stables. Circa 1600 and late C17 with early and mid C19 partial re-facing
and additions. Timber framed with sandstone plinth and white painted brick
nogging, squared and coursed sandstone, red brick and old tile roofs.
L-plan with 2 framed bays to front and remains of one framed bay in wing
to rear. One storey. Framing: square panels with straight braces; queen
post truss with v-struts exposed in left-hand gable end of c.1600 block.
2 gabled eaves dormers to rear, and ridge stack off-centre to right.
Central carriage entrance. Early C19 battlemented parapet gable end to
rear with recessed blank straight sided arches;the early C19 alterations
are stylistically similar to other structures in the area associated with
George Durant the younger (d.1844) of Tong Castle( qv. Cow House to North
of Acorn Cottage, etc.).
Listing NGR: SJ7960907424
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings