This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.809 / 52°48'32"N
Longitude: -3.1457 / 3°8'44"W
OS Eastings: 322868
OS Northings: 324112
OS Grid: SJ228241
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.W4CG
Mapcode Global: WH78X.NN7D
Entry Name: Glan Yr Afon Hall and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 21 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256609
Location: Llanyblodwel, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Llanyblodwel
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Llanyblodwel St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
LLANYBLODWEL C.P. B.4396 (north side)
SJ 22 SW
5/61 Glan-yr-afon Hall and
- attached walls (formerly
listed as Glan-yr-afon)
Small country house. Circa 1790 with minor later additions and alterations.
Red brick with painted ashlar dressings; low-pitched hipped slate roof
with red brick ridge stacks to left and right and shallow glass cupola
to centre. 3 x 3 bays. 2 storeys over semi-basement with rendered
stone plinth carried round above windows to east side and garden front.
First floor has continuous moulded floor band and plain cill band. Entrance
front with slightly recessed centre bay having tall 15-paned sash with moulded
stone architrave and entablature on first floor cutting through cill band. Central
entrance has composite stone columns supporting moulded entablature occupying
full width of bay. Half-glazed double doors with rectangular barred
overlight flanked by narrow rectangular windows. Glazing bar sashes
with painted stone wedge lintels to both floors on left and right. Garden
front has full-height central bow with tripartite glazing bar sashes divided
by demi-columns on both main floors, those to first floor with fluting
to bases and capitals. Plain moulded entablature to both windows, that
on first floor with bracketed delicate cast-iron balcony. Half-glazed
double doors to semi-basement flanked by blind windows with glazing bars
painted in imitation, stone band of plinth serving as continuous lintel.
Glazing bar sashes to left and right on all floors, those on first and
second floors with painted stone wedge lintels and those to semi-basement
of reduced proportions directly under stone band of plinth. East side
has 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor, those to semi-basement blind and
of reduced proportions with glazing bars painted in imitation. West side
has C20 panelled door with fluted columnar porch to right bay. Red brick
walls attached with ramped ashlar coping represent remains of conservatory.
Interior. Top-lit geometrical stone staircase with cast-iron stick balusters
and wreathed handrail in central entrance hall. Former drawing room
in bowed projection has elaborately carved plaster cornice with egg and
dart moulding and marble fireplace with Corinthian columns. Former
dining room has original plaster cornice and Kent-style wooden fireplace
brought from elsewhere. Panelled window shutters and raised and fielded
6-panel doors throughout.
Listing NGR: SJ2286824112
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings