History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalen

A Grade I Listed Building in Freeby, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7554 / 52°45'19"N

Longitude: -0.7987 / 0°47'55"W

OS Eastings: 481172

OS Northings: 318203

OS Grid: SK811182

Mapcode National: GBR CQJ.8WQ

Mapcode Global: WHFK7.P0WH

Plus Code: 9C4XQ642+4G

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189820

Location: Freeby, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Freeby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Saxby with Stapleford and Wyfordby

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Waltham on the Wolds



6/48 Church of St.Mary


Parish church. 1783, restored 1931 and 1967. Designed by G.
Richardson for the 4th Earl of Harborough. Ashlar with ashlar
dressings. Gothick style. Chamfered and moulded plinths, string
course, frieze of shields with Arms, coped blind arcaded parapet
with pinnacles. Rainwater heads dated 1931. West tower, nave,
north and south transepts, chancel. West tower, 3 stages, has
moulded plinth and string course, frieze and cornices, one of
them with Romanesque ornament. Crenellated parapet with 4
pinnacles. First stage has to west, moulded Tudor arched doorway
with ogee headed panelled surround with finial in the form of
feathers. Margin stile door. Above, 2 light pointed arched
window with Y tracery. North and south sides have each a
recessed round window and above it a blank 2 light pointed arched
window with Y tracery. Second stage has a roundel on each side,
that to west containing a clock. Third stage has on each side a
double lancet bell opening with fretted shutters. Nave, 3 bays,
has on each side 3 light pointed arched windows with intersecting
tracery. West end has on each side a roundel and above it a
pointed niche. Parapeted north and south transepts have a blank
4 light lancet in each gable. Chancel has blank sides. East end
has small central buttress and string course. Above, transomed 4
light lancet with intersecting tracery, flanked by single niches.
Above it, a coronet in high relief and a datestone inscribed
'1783'. Interior has octagonal vaulted porch below tower with
central figurative boss. To east, pointed doorway flanked by
single round headed doors. To west, pointed doorway flanked by
single round headed recesses. Nave has arcaded cornice and coved
plaster ceiling with lozenge patterns and fluted brackets. West
end has wooden gallery with 3 Tudor arched openings on each
stage, the upper central one gabled. Below, panelled dado and to
left, winder stair with stick balusters. Gallery has panelled
dado. West side has central Gothic Coade stone fireplace with
figurative panel. Above it, Royal Arms in a roundel, flanked by
single double ogee lancet panels. Lozenge patterned ceiling with
central oval dome containing cherubs. Transepts have panelled
plaster vaults. Gable walls have each a roundel containing a
dove. Chancel east end has dado and frieze with central inlaid
marble reredos with anchor motif, pediment and urn, by R. Brown
of Derby. Window above is flanked by double lancet Commandment
boards. Fittings of 1783, restored 1967, include longitudinal
panelled stalls with candlesticks, traceried reading desk,
panelled octagonal pulpit with winder stair, and movable fluted
marble font on oak stem. 2 late C17 turned chairs and 7
traceried early C19 chairs. Panelled C18 chest. Late C19 wooden
lectern. Memorials include brass, 1490, to Geoffrey Sherard and
wife. Black and white marble chest tomb, 1640, to William and
Abigail Sherard. Chest has inscribed side panel and Arms at
ends, and 2 full size reclining figures plus 11 small figures of
children. Above, depressed Gothic arch carrying central obelisk
with niche containing bust of Philip Sherard, 1750, flanked by
bust of Bennet Sherard, 1770, and Robert Sherard, 1799. Above
again, central bust of Bennet Sherard, 1699. Black and white
marble chest tomb by M Rysbrack to Robert Sherard and wife, 1732.
Chest has inscribed panel to front and above, full size figures
of seated woman with child and half-reclining man, all in Roman
costume. Behind, obelisk panel with crest and 2 portrait
medallions. Tablet and hatchment to the 6th Earl of Harborough,

Listing NGR: SK8117218203

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.