This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6574 / 52°39'26"N
Longitude: -2.6956 / 2°41'44"W
OS Eastings: 353042
OS Northings: 306860
OS Grid: SJ530068
Mapcode National: GBR BL.5R1K
Mapcode Global: WH8C1.KGKL
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259688
Location: Berrington, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Berrington
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Berrington with Betton Strange
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BERRINGTON C.P. BERRINGTON
11/36 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15; restored and south porch rebuilt in
1877. Roughly squared and coursed red sandstone and dressed red and
grey sandstone, all with ashlar dressings; red sandstone ashlar
tower; plain tile roofs continuous over nave and aisle; 4-bay nave,
south aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel and west tower. Tower: C15.
Two stages externally; chamfered plinth with moulded top, moulded
string course to set-back belfry with carved central and end stops,
diagonal buttresses with 6 offsets, moulded cornice with central water
chute, and battlemented parapet to pyramidal roof with flagpole.
Belfry openings with 2 louvred cinquefoil-headed lights, Y-tracery,
moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with carved stops; first stage has
single chamfered square-headed lancet to north and south, that to
south with 2 small lights, round-headed niche to left and curved-
headed niche low down to left; 4 centred arched west window of 3
cinquefoil -headed lights with panelled tracery, hollow-chamfered
reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; short stair turret to first
stage at the south-east corner with chamfered top and boarded door.
Weathering on tower to east does not quite match the present pitch of
the nave roof. Nave: C13. North side: chamfered lancet to left;
3 circa 1870 windows to right, 2 to left of 3 trefoil and
cinquefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals, and chamfered lancet
to right with cinquefoil heads, and continuous hoodmould over all.
South aisle: C13 with C14 alterations. Parapeted verge to left.
Two C19 windows to right with paired chamfered trefoil-headed lights,
C14 west window in left-hand return front with pair of chamfered
trefoil-headed lights, and C14 east window in right-hand return front
with pair of chamfered trefoil-headed lights and octafoil in tracery;
south doorway to left with chamfered Tudor archway and two 2-panelled
doors. South porch: 1877. Plinth, low angle buttresses, cill
string, gable string course, and parapeted gable, reused C13 moulded
archway with hood mould and carved stops, chamfered lancet in apex
above, and pairs of square quatrefoil side windows with chamfered
reveals. Chancel: C14. Chamfered plinth and parapeted gable end;
South side: two trefoiled ogee-headed chamfered one-light windows
and C19 window to left with 2 chamfered trefoil-headed lights and
cinquefoil-tracery; round-arched priests doorway off-centre to left
with boarded door, and C17 memorial plaque beneath moulded hood above
inscribed: "HERE. BELOWE. WAS. BURYED. THE/ BODY. OF . THOMAS FARMER .
THE . SO / NNE . OF . ANDREW . AND . FRANCIS / FARMER . OF . BROMPTON .
IN . THIS . PAR / ISH . WHO . DECEASED . THE . 8 . DAY . OF / FEBRUARY .
ANNO . DO1 , 1648 . IN . THE .(?). YEARE . OF . HIS . AGE / HE. BEING .
A . BATCHELER"; north side: Cl9 window with 2 chamfered trefoil-headed
lights, quatrefoil tracery, and moulded cill. East end: C14 window
with 3 cusped lights, flowing tracery and hoodmould. Interior: 3-bay
aisle arcade in former south wall of nave with square piers chamfered
up to outer arches, and inner chamfered arches resting on chamfered
capitals; double chamfered tower arch with moulded capitals; 4-bay
C14 nave roof with arch-braced collars, arch braced rafters, moulded
collar plate and moulded single purlins; 2-bay C14 chancel roof;
carved demi-figures high up in angle of nave and tower with
chamfered square surrounds; chamfered trefoil-headed piscina in
south aisle. Fittings: C19 openwork chancel screen above
chamfered tie-beam with king post and trefoil-headed lattice infill;
plain C19 altar rails and choir stalls; C19 low stone walls to
chancel; richly carved C19 hexagonal wooden pulpit; C12 circular
stone font with rude carving. Stained glass: east window of before
1820 by David Evans. Monuments: C13 wooden effigy of a cross-legged
knight with chamfered-arched tomb recess in south aisle; tablet to
Mrs. Greaves, died 1628,with Ionic columns flanking kneeling female
figure; tablet to William Frank ? with Ionic columns supporting swan-
necked pediment with shield in tympanum; tablet to Rebekah Gillam
Greaves, died 1827, by John Bacon the younger; kneeling female
figure with arm resting on sarcophagus, and crossed palms beneath.
The church stands within a roughly circular raised churchyard
[churchyard retaining wall (q.v.)] . V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p p. 13-27;
D.H. S. Cranage. An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire
Vol. 6, p p. 463-9; B.n.E., p.73.
Listing NGR: SJ5276706868
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings