This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.758 / 51°45'28"N
Longitude: -0.0885 / 0°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 532025
OS Northings: 208314
OS Grid: TL320083
Mapcode National: GBR KC3.NG1
Mapcode Global: VHGPV.F22P
Plus Code: 9C3XQW56+5H
Entry Name: Fanshaws
Listing Date: 20 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160656
Location: Brickendon Liberty, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13
Civil Parish: Brickendon Liberty
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bayford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 30 NW BRICKENDON LIBERTY FANSHAWS LANE
Country house, now offices. 1883-5 for Henry William Demaine Saunders,
service wing heightened 1912, leased to Barclay family 1909-1963, then
became HQ of the Institute of the Motor Industry. Red brick with red
sandstone dressings and windows. Moulded brick cornices. Steep red tile
roofs with parapets. A compact, 2 storeys and attics, square mansion in
Jacobean style facing S and entered from N, with rectangular double-pile
service wing attached at NE and projecting to N. House planned round
large central hall lit by bay window on E, smoking room to NW, drawing
room to SW and dining room to SE, with library on S between. Each,
except the library, have 2 rectangular bay windows. Asymmetrical N front
with entrance up steps inside long narrow projecting porch with ball
finials to swept parapet, classical entablature cantelevered as bracketed
hood. 2-storeys rectangular bay window to RH with leaded glazing in
ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed stone windows. Shaped gable rises
above parapet over bay and above large canted oriel window lighting
staircase to LH. Moulded plinth and deep cornices at 1st floor and eaves
level, with moulded capping to parapet. Symmetrical W elevation has 2
rectangular gabled bays with a single-storey canted bay lighting the hall
between. Roundel in one gable has date '1884'. Nearly symmetrical S front
with rectangular projecting 2-storeys gabled bay at each end but arched
stone doorway with fanlight to drawing room on LH of mullioned and
transomed window to library. Rich effect from egg-and-dart enrichment
of brick string courses at 2 levels. Interior in Jacobean style with 3/4
oak panelling to hall, elaborate Ionic chimneypiece with strapwork
centrepiece to overmantle. Dentilled cornice and strapwork ceiling.
Elaborate cut-string stair in arched enclosure out of one corner of hall.
C18 style panelling with bolection mouldings in drawing room. Half
panelled library with arcaded overmantle, linen-fold panels and Jacobean
fan-like central motif. De Morgan style polychrome tiles flank grate. Low
panelled dado to dining room with egg-and-dart cornice. Gadrooned shelf
to chimneypiece with re-used Jacobean grotesque terms, 2 to each side.
Service wing 4 steps down through door at NE. Arcaded upper stair hall.
(Amanda Evans and Wendy Keeling Fanshaws 1985. Centenary booklet
published by Motor Industry Management Ltd. at Fanshaws).
Listing NGR: TL3202508314
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings