History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Presbyterian Chapel Approximately 12 Metres to South West of Number 7 (The Old House)

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitchurch, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9671 / 52°58'1"N

Longitude: -2.6825 / 2°40'57"W

OS Eastings: 354257

OS Northings: 341304

OS Grid: SJ542413

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.K2X0

Mapcode Global: WH89H.RPT5

Plus Code: 9C4VX888+VX

Entry Name: Former Presbyterian Chapel Approximately 12 Metres to South West of Number 7 (The Old House)

Listing Date: 31 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260610

Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban

Built-Up Area: Whitchurch

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 5441
SJ 54260 41304 side)
8/56 Former Presbyterian
Chapel approx. 12 metres
to south-west of No. 7
(The Old House)

Presbyterian chapel, latterly school, dance hall and builders store, now
disused. 1716, with late C19 alterations and additions. Red brick,
rendered to front, with some stone dressings. Hipped plain tile roof
with gablets. Moulded stone plinth and chamfered stone quoins to front.
Tall external brick lateral stack at rear. Pair of segmental-headed
windows to front with round-relieving arches above (visible internally)
and C19 two-light wooden casements. Doorway to left with pegged frame.
All now obscured by C19 lean-to addition with 2-light wooden casements to
left and central recessed pair of C19 panelled doors with round-arched
overlight. 4 steps up to door. C19 lean-to addition to left-hand return
front too. Pair of segmental-headed windows at rear (heads rebuilt in late
C19) with round relieving arches above and C19 two-light wooden casements.
Interior: moulded wooden dado rail and moulded wooden cornice. Plaster
ceiling with deep cove to central rectangular panel. This building replaced
the previous meeting house on the site which was destroyed by a mob in 1715.
A series of C18 memorial tablets formerly in the chapel were removed in 1896
to the Congregational (United Reformed) Church (q.v.), also in Dodington,
opposite. R.C.H.M. (England), Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses
(London, 1986), pp. 205-6.

Listing NGR: SJ5425741304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.