This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5894 / 52°35'21"N
Longitude: -2.8141 / 2°48'50"W
OS Eastings: 344941
OS Northings: 299379
OS Grid: SO449993
Mapcode National: GBR BF.9ZVT
Mapcode Global: WH8CC.R54Q
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177711
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259638
Location: Smethcott, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Smethcott
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Smethcote St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 49 NW SMETHCOTT C.P. SMETHCOTT
3/97 Church of St. Michael
13.6.58 and All Angels
Parish church. 1849-50, by J. P. Harrison, incorporating material from
former C12 church. Uncoursed red sandstone rubble with grey sandstone
ashlar dressings; C19 machine tile roof with ridge cresting. Nave
and chancel in one (chancel roof slightly lower) with south porch.
C19 buttresses with chamfered offsets, parapeted gable end to east with
stone coping and cross at apex; timber framed square bellcote to west
with copper-sheathed lower parts, cusped lattice openings, and tented pyramidal
copper cap with weathervane. South side: central nave window of
2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in tracery and small chancel
window to right of 2 trefoiled round-arched lights; chamfered-arched
south doorway to left has boarded door with decorative strap hinges
and gabled porch with chamfered archway, moulded plinth, and benches
and cobbled floor within. Priest's doorway to right has chamfered
reveals, probably C12 lumpy tympanum and boarded door with strap hinges.
Two fragments of C12 carved masonry in south wall of chancel. North
side: pair of nave windows, each with 2 trefoil-headed lights and small
re-set C12 round-arched chancel window to left; north doorway to right
with chamfered reveals and probablyC12 lumpy tympanum. Two fragments
of C12 carved masonry in north wall of chancel. East end: buttresses
flanking large window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights, foiled tracery,
double-chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould. West end: window of
2 cinquefoil headed lights with foilad tracery and returned hoodmould.
Interior: 5½ bay roof incorporating old timbers,by William Hill (local
joiner and carpenter): hammerbeams on stone corbels with arch-braced
collars, pairs of purlins (single over 2-bay chancel) with cusped wind
braces; chamfered cambered C19 rood beam with lattice screen consisting
of diagonal struts above; chamfered rear arches. Fittings: sanctuary
panelled in 1952; altar rails c.1850 by William Hill with saltire crosses;
probably late C19 octagonal wooden pulpit with raised and fielded panels
and stone base ; c.1850 pews incorporating some reused C17 panelling;
reused C18 raised and fielded wainscot panelling in nave; possibly C12
oval stone font with plain wooden top; 2 painted benefactors' boards;
cast iron safe dated: "T. GLOVER/&/W. ROGERS/WARDENS/1813". Most of
the church was rebuilt in 1849-50, except for part of the west wall,
the side walls of the porch and a small part of the south wall. Smethcott
is now a largely deserted settlement but the church stands in a prominent
position at the end of a lane near to the remains of a motte and bailey.
V.C.H., Vol. VIII) pp.159-60; B.O.E., p.290; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 6, p.508. -
Listing NGR: SO4494199379
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings