This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6609 / 52°39'39"N
Longitude: -0.9343 / 0°56'3"W
OS Eastings: 472178
OS Northings: 307551
OS Grid: SK721075
Mapcode National: GBR BQ5.4ML
Mapcode Global: WHFKK.MCBY
Entry Name: Lowesby Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178050
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190588
Location: Lowesby, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Lowesby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Lowesby (Whatborough Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 70 NW
Country House. Early C18. Red brick with blue headers, Swithland slate roof.
2 storeys with attics, square in plan. Entrance front (south east) of 9 bays,
the outer 2 bays on each side formerly projecting hipped gabled wings but
linked by the insertion (probably also C18) of a full height corridor across
the front. In the centre is a full height canted bay, with door case with
scrolly open pediment and shield of arms (Fowkes family) over the window above
it. The windows on each side of this centre piece are floor length sashes,
all others on both floors are 32-light sashes and all have finely gauged brick
heads. Some windows are blind painted. Slight projecting brick string-course
between the storeys. Modillion eaves cornice. Behind the corridor, the pedimented
front of the original building line is visible: a large shield of arms of
the Wollaston family is flanked by oculi in the pediment, which, like the
rest, has a modillion cornice. Side elevation (N.E.) of 6 bays raised on a
basement with blank window recesses. 32-light sash windows with fine gauged
brick heads, 2 blind. Garden front (N.W.) of 11-bays, 4-3-4 with central part
beneath a pediment and containing door in case with scrolly open pediment.
All windows are 32-light sashes. Brick string-course rises over central section.
3 segmentally arched lights in pediment. Lower wing extends to right and is
partially the work of Lutyens (1910). 2 storeys, 4-bays with a triple light
sash window to each side of doorcase with open pediment, 12-light sash window
to right and 4 upper 2-light casements. Gable and axial stacks.
Inside, the central saloon has painted ceiling attributed to the studio of
Verrio: this was severely damaged in a fire in 1980, all that survives is
the painting on the coving, which depicts Venus with putti etc. Bolection
moulded fireplace in this room, and panelling with pedimented doorcases. Much
original panelling survives in other rooms. Early C18 principal staircase
apparently remodelled to suit the re-arranged plan when the front corridor
was added, and now partially freestanding on ornate Corinthian wood columns.
Slender balusters, alternately fluted and tightly twisted, 3 to a tread, and
continuous rail. Richly carved tread ends, cornice and handrail. Dado panel.
The building probably incorporates an earlier core, apparently of Ketton stone. -
The fire of 1980 destroyed the secondary staircase and some panelled interiors,
including 1 room remodelled by Lutyens. However all damage has been reinstated.
Listing NGR: SK7217807551
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings